X Rigging Rings, thoughts

Yes, I made my own retrievable set with rings from Treestuff. I like my Pinto rig better unless It has to be retrievable.

There isn't anything about those rings that would make me buy them over a block. That said, if I had a set I'd use them. I just prefer to have blocks on hand that can be set mid line and taken off. I doubt the friction gained at the top of the tree is significant enough to make much difference in loading. If you're pushing limits of your rigging that close you should re evaluate. Disclaimer, I didn't watch much of the video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd have said the same thing....until I started using them.

It's not so much about pushing the limits of your rigging. ..more about making the best of the situation. When I'm about to catch the top of a sketchy tree, its good to know I have things in my favor. So there's less likely hood of a mishap across the board. The spider jack use was the best analogy I could come up with. Doesn't matter to me who likes em and who doesn't. I'm just sharing my experience, that's all.

It is an interesting tool, and if a highly skilled and experienced climber such as yourself vouches for them, that gives a lot of credence.

Im surprised they wear so little, apparently that hard coat anodizing counts for a lot.

I love the labor saving tricks I can do with them and will continue to read threads like this to learn more of those. Remotely setting, remote retrieval and just letting them fall to the ground. Setting up (not sure of term) counter balancing forces and thus being able to rig down in to just the right spot in a yard or garden off an impossibly small terminal rigging point.

Triple XRR sling not shown in vid is my favorite terminal rig point.

There isn't anything about those rings that would make me buy them over a block. That said, if I had a set I'd use them. I just prefer to have blocks on hand that can be set mid line and taken off. I doubt the friction gained at the top of the tree is significant enough to make much difference in loading. If you're pushing limits of your rigging that close you should re evaluate. Disclaimer, I didn't watch much of the video.

Good of you to acknowledge not watching a lot of vid. I have watched everything I could find on XRR's because I was so excited about them. (Then went and worked with David for a couple of weeks to learn more - so I'm not an impartial observer.)

But, the thing that struck me from your post was something that I took from the first thread I ever read about XRR usage. They were talking about the Fishing Pole Technique and all of a sudden I saw a simple answer to problems I have faced with dead limbs or stems over a structure etc.. The idea that something will break off and come crashing down on the roof is often managed by just connecting it all up with Rigging Ring slings and rigging line. When I reach out and trip the end piece at 4 inches dia. it may break out that rig point but, it will just go onto my next rig point, say 6 feet further down.

Having the Rings to use makes it fun to come up with new beneficial to the job uses for some reason.

I use my rings often enough, but the fact that they are not midline attachable really bring me back to a simple block.

If you need midline attachable, how bout a biner?

x rings have there place, Ive watched Bixler use them, Ive ran the porty, they work fine...

I like the new ISC 1/2 pulley so far, midline attach and sooo light

It is an interesting tool, and if a highly skilled and experienced climber such as yourself vouches for them, that gives a lot of credence.

Im surprised they wear so little, apparently that hard coat anodizing counts for a lot.

That was my main concern too Cory. It seems we're nearly always either working in sandy or muddy conditions and I would think it would take a toll on the aluminum. Here's another question, I'm always looking to make all the gear I can, why couldn't you do the same thing with tenex and steel wire rope thimbles? It would make them slightly heavier, but more wear resistent.

Nice video, Reg. I agree, the X-rings have their place, glad I have mine. I think the spider jack comparison was good as well. Merle, the triple ring is my favorite, too. What works in one work environment may not work in another. I bought one specifically to use as a redirect pulling trees over to avoid wrecking an expensive 3/4" block pulling between a large tree and a vehicle or winch. I bought them to use, I still consider them cheaper than a block + sling. And we still use blocks, too.

I know all about that, hence my post.
It was tounge in cheek, kinda.

Maybe we should ask Reg about this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/An3o2ZPStSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back