Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: X Rigging Rings, thoughts

Here's a few of my observations about the article:
    -two of the 8 or 9 pictures in the article show a Safebloc with an improper sling (some kind of tubular webbing sling, not the 3/4" t-rex sling that was described as being used in the article), one of which shows a failure in the sling. This picture showing a broken sling automatically makes the product itself look bad to the casual or uninformed observer. Its also not clear if the pictures are from the author's testing or someone else's testing.
    -If you look at the Safebloc on the Sherrill website, it clearly shows a WLL of 2,700 lbs. on the Safebloc itself. Seems to reveal a pretty lackluster effort to do background research.
    -I might be wrong, but the author seemed to describe that the test did not involve any type of movement in the rigging line, that the logs were essentially dropped into the system and therefore shock loaded the products. How does this testing method really apply to the goal of the test? Put differently, how does this test the efficacy of the different products to utilize friction to reduce forces at the rigging point? To me, it doesn't, it only stress tests the products. To observe friction would require the rigging rope to move through the products, right?
    -At the end of the day, is a test like this inherently bad or malicious? I don't think necessarily so. However, the author fully admits its a kind of preliminary round of testing and not conclusive at all. If thats the case, why publicize it in a well read magazine, possibly to the detriment of the products and product developers?
    -Knowing the amount of effort David Driver has put into the rings and Safebloc, it must be extremely frustrating to see a publicized test that really didn't seem to include much background knowledge or show much initiative to understand how these tools ought to be used. It also would not surprise me at all if this were some sort of underhanded way of discrediting any of the products that were tested. The article itself wasn't terrible, I'm just not sure why it was published so early in the testing. Maybe TCIA just wanted to address this topic and was short on time?
    Also, I doubt it will affect sales of the Safebloc much.

TreeHouser Sponsor August Hunicke's Avatar

Refreshing articulate read ^^^ Chris

aug

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Well said points Chris.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    My BMS Belay Spool rolls in the truck, for sure.

I don't understand how someone reviews tools that they don't know how to use.
    Ditto, it's great for controlling swing when neg rigging to another tree.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    My BMS Belay Spool rolls in the truck, for sure.

I don't understand how someone reviews tools that they don't know how to use.

Sam/ Grendel,

In case it was not clear...the several lines was meant to read as two different thoughts.

Different strokes for different folks about using the Belay Spool.

The authors shouldn't review tools that they don't know how to use.

Oh no worries Sean, I'm by no mean experienced enough with the belay spool to rule it out entirely. I should have worded my original post more carefully. It's not for ME treework. haha

In static lowering and control situations, I can see the merit. I think it's a cool friction break, just not for dynamic loading or real heavy stuff. Also found it difficult to feed line through after the event, and ended up moving up to the rigging point repeatedly to help it along. I suppose it's like Mick said, I just kind of lost interest.

Digging the Safebloc though. . . even if most of my rigging consists of catching stuff with slings so I can hand drop it. It's a neat tool with a redirect and a rope guy.

Cheers.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Banned

this vid predated the rings by 5 or more years... love the rings, but there is something about a tool under $10 that can be o useful that will always have a place in my heart

Yup. Steel biners and clevises get a lot of work done.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by frans View Post
    Will x ring come out with a monster ring like the Not available Fiori ring?
    I can't speak for David Frans but I really doubt it given the response I gathered from him when that big ring was first shown. Also if you were on the ground when David or Lawrence load up a single line or double line rigging set with log I don't think you would see the need for any more capacity.

Lawrence was putting down 2000 lbs of wood at a wack for me on one cypress job. It was pretty much maxing out my Avant 528 for lifts. I think we are the weak link, not the XRR's or the Safbloc.

That article.....

Have you seen that giant ring?

It's not a matter of strength,it just has so many more uses than the 'beast' size xring/largest antal ring...