Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: X Rigging Rings, thoughts

Default X Rigging Rings, thoughts

As the title says.

Unrehearsed, so not as articulate as it could have been.

Im sold on these. I have been thinking about buying them but now its a forsure thing. Thanks for this Video and your thoughts.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Snowflakes, not stars...or was it stars, not snowflakes? I like the off-topic interjections.

Thanks for the review...I have a set of X-rings (for several months now) that I haven't tried yet...did use a block the other day and it sure was heavy. I will try my rings now.
    Gary

Nice job, Reginald, cool presentation.

Since you seemed to be presenting simply the basics of the rigging rings, I would have liked to see a few other basics covered, like, how they are affixed to the tree? As they have fixed lengths, Im guessing the rings are sometimes hanging well below the face cut, or sometimes the rings are separated by several inches, unlike in your vid where they were located perfectly right at the face cut and with the rings side by side. It would seem to depend on the stem diameter.

What rope diameters do you use?

What is the wear rate on the rings? Given the friction, one would think it is significant, but Ive never used nor seen the rings so maybe it is surprisingly low.

You surf???

In my case the rings were a great stepping stone for rigging. I wasn't doing any serious jobs, and I wasn't interested in running rigging ropes through crotches but didn't make enough money for a good impact block. Filled that gap perfectly, I have a few blocks now, but still often fall back on the rings, well, at least the branches fall on them....

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    Nice job, Reginald, cool presentation.

Since you seemed to be presenting simply the basics of the rigging rings, I would have liked to see a few other basics covered, like, how they are affixed to the tree? As they have fixed lengths, Im guessing the rings are sometimes hanging well below the face cut, or sometimes the rings are separated by several inches, unlike in your vid where they were located perfectly right at the face cut and with the rings side by side. It would seem to depend on the stem diameter.

What rope diameters do you use?

What is the wear rate on the rings? Given the friction, one would think it is significant, but Ive never used nor seen the rings so maybe it is surprisingly low.

You surf???
    Cory they come in various configurations ie choker, single length/line, or with the eye at each end. Some have 2 and 3 eyes at one end for heavy falling logs. I rarely need a bigger line than 5/8 out here. So you can set the eye or ring without it hanging far below a cut with the single length. There's no significant wear on mine at all....but I do make a point in rotating the rings within the splice whenever I remember.

My main point is that especially on dead or compromised trees, the rings offer a margin of safety over blocks....and are arguably more user friendly. Cheaper too.

These are just my thoughts though, like it says in the title. I'm not trying to sell anything....but worth considering if you do lots of sketchy trees.

I surfed a long time a go but soon realized it's not a glamorous as it looks. In spite of a surprisingly big surfing community here I'm still not tempted. The clothes are generally good quality though.

Thanks for the reply, R.

Surfing, maybe not glamorous, but not fun enough to keep you engaged? Seems like most who try it become obsessed. How cold is the water there in the summer?

we've got 23 deg C at the moment in Sydney, getting amongst the surf is good therapy-such a contrast to sawdust, branches and logs

So what's the deal with this? (From treestuff.com product details)

Important Note: A single X-Rigging ring should not be used as the main rigging point
    List of stations that sell pure, ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada http://www.pure-gas.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 802climber View Post
    So what's the deal with this? (From treestuff.com product details)

Important Note: A single X-Rigging ring should not be used as the main rigging point
    I have no idea.