X Rigging Rings, thoughts

Hard trek to find a spot to pee. Poor pooch.

It's a dog's life just rambling about the backyard as and when it chooses to.
Used to bring her inside when it was really cold out, and after 5 minutes or so, she would be pawing the door wanting to go out again. That gets old, quick.
SAM_1263.jpg

Note that is a tree-dog-house.

One day I spotted Rupert on a chip pile looking in the kitchen window at me.

Sean

The X-man is on instagram saying there's some sort of article in a US magazine dissing the X-rings. Getting pretty heated.

Anyone know the article/magazine?

I think David Driver is loosing it. . . there was nothing terribly surprising or inflammatory in that article. I don't get why he's so worked up. It was written by a NATS guy, don't know him, but they're usually really good.

It is, I've got one of the original versions before Treestuff did their thing to it, and it's not something you'd want to use in the tree. It's a cool friction brake, just not for tree work.

yeah, the article failed to mention context... different tools for different applications. the afb has its place so does the rig n wrench. the rig n wrench got a "fair" at least. the called the afb a catastrophic failure. lol. They dont really discuss the ways they are used. the last sentence pretty much reads.... in my interpretation. "these tools are different and dont work the way we are used to, you are best advised to just stick to what your used to otherwise you might get confused." (im doing it again Reg, changing around words on people. :))

Anyway, all the points of the article seem fair, I just dont think it dealt with the context of the way all of these tools are designed to be used. None of them are designed to replace a portawrap. Chris said it right they hadn't learned where and how to use them before testing them.

I also didnt see anything particularly specifically negative regarding the xring products. But they also didnt seem to be setting them up or using them correctly.

It is, I've got one of the original versions before Treestuff did their thing to it, and it's not something you'd want to use in the tree. It's a cool friction brake, just not for tree work.

My BMS Belay Spool rolls in the truck, for sure.

I don't understand how someone reviews tools that they don't know how to use.

LOL, at DD "losing it," not really, he's always been half unwound.
As far as the article. If you know the behind the scenes maneuverings of Buckingham and others you can see through the article a bit to the agenda. People pull strings because they can. David fights the game rather than plays the game. Makes things harder on himself in my opinion.

aug

Are you saying Buckingham has a competing product?

No Cory, I was being vague, using Buckingham as an example of someone who uses their power and influence to push their own products via rules and regulations.

aug

Ok thanks.

I read the article, it seemed harmless.

It's clever Cory but not harmless. Drawing attention to it is more harmful than helpful tho in my opinion.

aug

That's kinda what I meant. Don't most guys decide for themselves rather than put stock in an article in a tree magazine? Take it all with a grain of salt. I mean can you really learn anything from an article that hasn't been discussed in great detail here?? Not everyone agrees but issues are explored and people can then decide if they haven't already.

Tree climbing gear is relatively inexpensive, most people like to see a thing in action, and there's usually one guy in a group of tree guys who will buy something, then tell his mates about it.

It doesn't really matter what people say in magazines or online.

The zig zag got a lot of negative press at first (cracks and stuff) but now is a big seller.

If something is really good it will sell, if it ain't, a few will buy it and it'll bounce around the van for a few months.

shoot, im stoked even with the "fair" review that the rig n wrench got mentioned as an option.

The article looks highly skewed.

So when I used a ball peen hammer for framing a house with nails, it worked much better, albeit with its own limitations compared to framing a house with nails using a screw gun, which catastrophically failed half way through banging in the second 16p nail.

Back