Need help with my 201T upgrade kit

TreeHugger

TreeHouser
Ok, I got the 201T upgrade kit which consists of a new carburetor, fly wheel, and ignition coil. I installed everything and it wouldn't crank. Checked the plug and it was getting no fire. Installed new plug...still no fire. I put the old coil bag on....no fire. I put the old flywheel back on...no fire. Can someone please tell me what is going on? Surely in the removal of old parts and installation of new parts I didn't damage both coils. What's even worse is my back up climbing saw is down too. At the moment I don't have a running climbing saw. I'm feeling a little faint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think I gapped the coil. I'm not sure what that means, so yeah I'm pretty sure I didn't do that. I'm assuming you are referring to the distance between the coil and flywheel. I didn't know that there was supposed to be a set gap. Now that I think about it though that makes since. Ok, please walk me through this gapping procedure.

As a general rule the air gap is .012 ".About the thickness of a business card.Just place the card between the coil and the flywheel over the magnets and tighten it up .

That's what I thought. I just went out and did that and still no fire. That was with the old coil so I put the new coil on and gapped it and still no fire.

The two wires that attach to the coil are good at the coil. They run into the handle at the switch and I can't see the connection there without taking the handle apart. I haven't done anything in the handle area so I don't see how they would have come loose.

I haven't torn into a 201 yet. I know it didn't take much to knock a wire off a 200T inside the handle. Is there any way that you could've hooked them up backwards? Like I stated earlier I haven't had one of those apart yet.

Take the wires off the coil and check for fire, you may have them backwards or caused a short taking things apart. The coil gets grounded to shut off the spark, which shuts off the saw. so take off the wires and see if you have spark, then work backwards to see what went wrong.

Orrr...just toss the bitch thing in the nearest river and look online far and wide for a low hour 200T...pay hundreds more than it's worth on paper for it, of course. Be happy.
:D

Ouch, well maybe. If you are a halfway decent arb it would be paid for in a couple of days, making profit for you in a week. My take, is all.

Take the wires off the coil and check for fire, you may have them backwards or caused a short taking things apart. The coil gets grounded to shut off the spark, which shuts off the saw. so take off the wires and see if you have spark, then work backwards to see what went wrong.

I for sure don't have them backwards, but it could be a short. I'll try taking them off. Thanks for the advice guys.

General tips and advice.
Don't pull without plug in unless coil is grounded.. Coil gets cooked as power need to go some were.
Don't set ignition so coil have contact to magnets, this also can cause damage.

Setting is to be as close as possible without a possibility of contact.
I use a double folded printer paper mostly...

If you can find a couple $ bills that works too. Just take the bills, saw and go to a guy that do it for a living...

Hey thanks for the tips Magnus. I think when I first installed the new parts the coil and magnets were coming into contact with each other. That possibly damaged the new coil, but still doesn't explain why the old one stopped working because it never came in contact with the magnets.

General tips and advice.
Don't pull without plug in unless coil is grounded.. Coil gets cooked as power need to go some were.
Don't set ignition so coil have contact to magnets, this also can cause damage.

Setting is to be as close as possible without a possibility of contact.
I use a double folded printer paper mostly...

If you can find a couple $ bills that works too. Just take the bills, saw and go to a guy that do it for a living...
The last sentence, I concur.

I disconnected both wires on the coil and still no fire. I guess I'll take it to the shop tomorrow.

Orrr...just toss the bitch thing in the nearest river and look online far and wide for a low hour 200T...pay hundreds more than it's worth on paper for it, of course. Be happy.
:D

Actually B, the 540 is looking really really good to me right now, even with the stupid autotune. After my second carb kit in my self-Sneller modded 201, I'm about to pull a Reg Coates.

I disconnected both wires on the coil and still no fire. I guess I'll take it to the shop tomorrow.

So sorry about the ill-fortune man. If it's any consolation, that pig has more than a few of us pulling our hair out. Erratic idling pig!

Back