Need help with my 201T upgrade kit

I agree with Mr. Beranek, it is "clever" to try to get all of your customers that have a product that is defective out of the box to pay for what is in reality recall work. I don't think it's a smart thing to do, longterm, however. Really shortsighted, is what I'd call it. Mick's sentiment is exactly the reason why. The danger for Stihl is that people will try other brands, find out that they really like them just fine, and then never come back.

TreeHugger, the original poster of this thread said: "I got the 201T upgrade kit which consists of a new carburetor, fly wheel, and ignition coil."

To me, this strongly suggests that the original items in that list were not performing their tasks adequately. To force someone who just paid $600.00 for what was supposed to be a top of the line product to pay another $200.00 PLUS the labor it takes to change out the parts just seems unfair to me, on its face. The fact that all of their new saws include these parts is what causes me to think that a court of law would decide in favor of all the poor guys that have been dragged through the weeds on this issue. If a guy like Reg Coates would rather drive over a saw than continue to use it, to me that says that its performance must be inadequate for the purpose. I don't know if class action lawsuits get decided by a jury or not, but if I was on it I would vote for all of those customers to get their money back for the parts, plus a reasonable amount for the labor to replace them. But that's just me.

I don't own a Stihl chainsaw yet. Certain models get rave reviews. Stuff like this would make me only want to ever buy one of their bulletproof models, and never something new. If I were one of the guys who got stuck with an inadequately performing saw and was told I'd need to pay another $200.00 or better to get it to work right, it would make me mad enough to not ever buy any of their products again.

I'd love to hear how well Mick likes the competitor's products. It would be nice to know that there are good alternatives out there.

Sorry for the long rant.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the least we can do is write a letter to Stihl and express our dissatisfaction. Anybody know where one might send said letter?

I'm sure that Reg's video got some attention. I complained to the dealer and then to their rep. Kept being told that it had a longer break in period and had been tested against the 200t and out performed it. I'll have to check the serial #'s to see if we have a new edition one at work on another crew. Hope it's better cause I got two first edition saws that are getting tired

As much as I like to brag about my past owned 200's I can't forget all the grief with the stupid carb problems they had over the years.

It stemed back to when they started making that Zama carb in China.Stihl never did publicly admit to having a problem with them .

So then no fire eh? The upgrade flywheel/coil was supposed to advance the timing a tad .It might be possible to use the original coil .It would likely not produce as hot of spark but that should tell the tale of the coil if it would work .

You want to make a point? Take all these junk running saws to the trade shows with you and address your anger at the stihl booth. Imagine if only 100 owners did that at a trade show? The next model would run, cut, and file your taxes for you.

I bet they keep a ear open an hear the issues and complaints, but as long as a product sells there is no problem. If it sells it fulfills its function and there is no real problem. It is the last line in the quarter report that decide if there is actions taken. If not the yearly report will show and then perhaps action will be taken unless it is prestige included in the equation...

The problem is that arborist saws is a very small drop of water in the ocean of saws that Stihl produces.

When I had that mishap with the 661 last year, they were quick to react.

I think it is an under reported fact that pointing out to a company their "product" and "customer treatment" is being openly discussed on Forums like this gets results.

NickfromWi was having some new chipper warranty/dealer issues and when a member or two from here made Morbark aware of it (Yea Sawingredneck, and [Chris]?), the company jumped in and got Nick over to a dealer who performed.

Sandandsurf was having issues getting a big deposit back on a used chip truck when the dealer had put some fraudulent twists and turns in the deal. It was flat out no - end of road! Then the dealer comes on the forum to explain himself, more people express upset - and watching. Ok, all the sudden the dealer can refund, ' where do I send the check? You must have misunderstood....'

One other example of that was Husky's newish battery saw. Latches could be triggered in just the right way and drop batt out. At first not responsive to users. Posting more on Arbtalk and pretty soon they got responsive. Now fixed as I understand it.

Social media is a power to be recond with. Butch has given us access to that power through The Tree House. I think Tim has the right idea. That being said I suspect Stihl has the motivation and staying power to resist the longest.

Any members that avail themselves of this collective social power in the future (and the past) please, please, please come back around and tell your story. Spread it far and wide. Only by this awareness and use of strength in numbers can we correct some of the product and service ills in the future. Especially with a co. as big and powerful as Stihl.

One other example of that was Husky's newish battery saw. Latches could be triggered in just the right way and drop batt out. At first not responsive to users. Posting more on Arbtalk and pretty soon they got responsive. Now fixed as I understand it.

Please tell more of this. I see no changes in production so far regarding fastening of battery.

I think it is an under reported fact that pointing out to a company their "product" and "customer treatment" is being openly discussed on Forums like this gets results.

NickfromWi was having some new chipper warranty/dealer issues and when a member or two from here made Morbark aware of it (Yea Sawingredneck, and [Chris]?), the company jumped in and got Nick over to a dealer who performed.

Sandandsurf was having issues getting a big deposit back on a used chip truck when the dealer had put some fraudulent twists and turns in the deal. It was flat out no - end of road! Then the dealer comes on the forum to explain himself, more people express upset - and watching. Ok, all the sudden the dealer can refund, ' where do I send the check? You must have misunderstood....'

Social media is a power to be recond with. Butch has given us access to that power through The Tree House. I think Tim has the right idea. That being said I suspect Stihl has the motivation and staying power to resist the longest.

Any members that avail themselves of this collective social power in the future (and the past) please, please, please come back around and tell your story. Spread it far and wide. Only by this awareness and use of strength in numbers can we correct some of the product and service ills in the future. Especially with a co. as big and powerful as Stihl.

Dear Gentlemen of Stihl Manufacturing Co.

I bought your early 201T. Please replace it with your newer, upgraded one, because if you don't; I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, buy any of your products, ever again, and I will dissuade all my friends--and everyone else I know who would ever consider buying power equipment from you--from doing so also.

Sincerely,
Jed Walters

8733 384th Ave. SE
Snoqualmie, WA 98065

Ha Jed, if only.

Magnus, I don't know all the exact details. It was in two or three threads on Arbtalk regarding that model of top handle Husky, one I believe was dedicated to the issue of 'dropped battery' itself. At least two different people were trying to go up through the proper channels at Husky and being fairly well ignored. Posting, posting, makeing videos of problem - posting...'ok we are dealiing with it.' I believe it took months to get the needed attention and a fix in.

The verbage about the fix was (I believe) focused on a change to the battery lock up on batt housing, no change to body of saw.

Also at the time of appropriate response and batt fix for one of the Husky costomers that was posting on Arbtalk he took down some of his video posts. I am sure he would be happy to tell you exact story and exact fix.

I bought your early 201T. Please replace it with your newer, upgraded one, because if you don't; I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, buy any of your products, ever again, and I will dissuade all my friends--and everyone else I know who would ever consider buying power equipment from you--from doing so also.

Sincerely,
Jed Walters

8733 384th Ave. SE
Snoqualmie, WA 98065

Really great letter, Jed! It probably won't work, but I get the feeling that if a large enough number of pro arbs actually wrote letters to this effect, they might actually do something about it.

It all comes down to money. Folks that purchased the early versions have been financially harmed. People might be satisfied with a coupon good for future Stihl purchases, as compensation, rather than Stihl having to take physical possession of a bunch of used saws. The idea is to compensate people for the loss, instead of making the customer just take it on the chin. There's any number of ways to try to make things right, but they have to be willing to accept the fact that they've wronged a large number of good, loyal customers, and that compensation is the right thing to do. Sorry for ranting again.

Tim

Sincerely,
Jed Walters

8733 384th Ave. SE
Snoqualmie, WA 98065

Rule number one Jed... Never say Never :D

Ha Jed, if only.

Magnus, I don't know all the exact details. It was in two or three threads on Arbtalk regarding that model of top handle Husky, one I believe was dedicated to the issue of 'dropped battery' itself. At least two different people were trying to go up through the proper channels at Husky and being fairly well ignored. Posting, posting, makeing videos of problem - posting...'ok we are dealiing with it.' I believe it took months to get the needed attention and a fix in.

The verbage about the fix was (I believe) focused on a change to the battery lock up on batt housing, no change to body of saw.

Also at the time of appropriate response and batt fix for one of the Husky costomers that was posting on Arbtalk he took down some of his video posts. I am sure he would be happy to tell you exact story and exact fix.

Unless this was read, discussed and answered by one of the two Husqvarna engineers at Husqvarna development in Husqvarna here that is in charge of this project, I doubt this was much real.
I frequently talk to people working there and this has been on topic several times. One of them was here at my shop dropping off a couple battery's when I tested the 536LiXP for a magazine here. We talked a bit on phone before and after as well.
To accommodate the dealers here a FB group was started that made it a bit easier to have contact with dealers. This is a step in right direction.
The reason they become so great in first place was the customer, dealer contact we had here.
Engineers went out and talked to dealers, found out what was wrong and did their damndest to fix it FAST.
Now Engineers build saws that drop sales and the company blame the sales result on sellers.... Educational shop is put up to teach dealers how to sell and in some cases service products as the dealers apparently don't know enough...
If this was 25 years ago the products would be corrected or dropped!

Their mechanic is away this week, so it'll be the end of the next before I get it back.
I also have a later good 201 and a 540 so it'll be an interesting test.

Ok so I finally got it back, 2 hrs labour ffs!
It's sorted basically, revs clean and clear, nice pick up, doesn't bog down in big wood. A real treat.

I would say to anyone, get the upgrade kit and get it done if you've a duff one.

I know stihl should pay, but they won't so there you go.

Thanks Willard, not even a new chain! Believe it or not I read what gets put on here about sharpening and try to put it into practice. Never too old to learn (or improve)

Thanks Willard, not even a new chain! Believe it or not I read what gets put on here about sharpening and try to put it into practice. Never too old to learn (or improve)
Mick, If you can find some Stihl 63 PS chain [chisel Picco ] you will be really impressed with that chains performance on the MS201.
Don't settle for the 63PS3 chain which has the extra safety ramps.....total part time weekender chain, might as well use regular semi chisel Picco.

Stephen: Yeah... the moment I had said that, I thought about my 660 which is a wonderful work horse, but... I'm just done with that company.

Mick: Yeah! Super impressive! That's a 16" bar no? Squirting out chips!

Williard: I just hit those stupid little anti-kickback ramps with the grinder (on the ps3 chain). Works a charm, and takes less than twelve minutes.

I would have just warmed the truck up and been done away with the 201 but not everybody has that passion or luxury so I sold it at a loss and bought a rebuilt 200t for the same money. much happier now.
sorry you had to go through all that nonsense Treehugger just to try and get a working saw.

Back