Treestuff MCRS

Raj

TreeHouser
This looks interesting, my first thoughts are to replace the ropes with webbing though.... I like the idea of customizing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8rQ3lcL5VeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nick let me try an earlier version of this saddle and I thought it was pretty nice.

Looks very interesting. Seems like the force would be concentrated on that looks like two 1/2" ropes, unless the leather portions are particularly stiff.

Where do you clip gear?

You got all that rope so anywhere I guess. I had the same thoughts about the weight being concentrated under the rope contact area, and also it looks like there is a fair bit of slop in where the rope connects to the pads. My buddies dad has a Karl Kummerling rope saddle that came as a kit just the belt and leg pads, you had to splice the the rest together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd make adjustable webbing loops around the leg pads to tighten a bit around the legs, keep them in place, then other adjustable webbing loops to connect with the bridge support rings. After that may be replace all the rope with adjustable webbing, hang some equipment loops off of that.

Edit: Swap out the bridge rings for rigging plates.

It would be nice if Nick could come on here and talk more about it. The use of ropes for the for the life support components, as he said, makes the hole thing adjustable and inexpensive to rebuild. Trying to do the same thing with webbing is much more complicated. With stiff enough leather pads you wouldn't even begin to feel those ropes.

Just an idea I was tinkering with, I'd like to try doing some stuff with webbing in the future, some little projects, just for fun..... I'm looking to put an order in at Pennsafe, they're just up the road from me, next town over.

It's much the same as the main concept of my old rope saddles. You can always replace the rope. Though the hardware and padding are different. Still essentially the same idea. A forever saddle. Ha

I thought part of the fun of being a tree climber is getting a new saddle every few years....... I dont think I would want a forever saddle. I read a post on FB where someone asked if there is really a need for a saddle that has that much adjustability. I kind of agree with that. I dont see a need for every aspect to be adjustable, but thats just me.

Is that because there were not any commercially available or because the saddles that were available were terrible? Ive seen the homemade saddles in your book..... what a cool skill to have to be able to make your own saddle. However, I am very thankful for the modern day choices.

It would be nice if Nick could come on here and talk more about it. The use of ropes for the for the life support components, as he said, makes the hole thing adjustable and inexpensive to rebuild. Trying to do the same thing with webbing is much more complicated. With stiff enough leather pads you wouldn't even begin to feel those ropes.

I'm here! Just not as often as I like.

Regarding Matts saddle, I met Matt at my first TCC in Ohio. I thought his saddle was a great idea then and that it made perfect sense. Over the last year we have worked through the sourcing, manufacturing and production prototypes of what Matt has been climbing in for about 5 years now.

As for the adjustability, this saddle offers pretty much infinite adjustability but more importantly set it and forget it type setups. Have a friend help you the first time and its set until you need to replace it. The legs adjust easily with the anchor bends and never creep. I insisted on the grommet belt, we really think its reliable, easy to use, and offers on the fly adjustability that again doesn't creep.

The pads are actually 3 parts. The back is an incredibly tough rough belting material and the fronts are full grain leather. Each pad has a high quality dense memory foam inside it and vertical baffling stitches to keep the pad in place, provide lateral stiffness and create a channel for air and sweat. Combined with the specific tunneling guiding the rigging, the burliness of the padding disburses the pressure of the ropes supporting the saddle.

All of the ropes were hand picked and custom produced for TreeStuff and Matts harness.

For me the option to rebuild the saddle is cool. I like the idea of wearing in a leather saddle that will last forever but being able to replace the life support components and even reconfigure it to a changing climbing style.

We have fully tested the saddle components and as a system. Tests were done with configured and grossly MIS-configured (no knots connecting in the back of the saddle. totally untied) saddles. The bridge has been repeatedly tested in configuration and with other likely modifications. There wasn't a single break below 7500lbs. The saddles are currently undergoing third party ASTM testing. We broke Matt's 3 year old saddle rigging and the results were awesome!

FAIR NOTICE: My review is totally partial. I am completely biased by my friendship with Matt, my love of tough leather shit, my love of techy new gear, and the obvious fact that I work for the company producing it.

Thanks, Nick! Not only is it great to hear from you, biased or not, your feedback on the "whys" on new developments like this saddle I personally find invaluable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j7K9OOOTNr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back