Demonstration

sotc

Dormant hero!!
We're going to the twins preschool next month sometime as they are learning about trees. I'm soliciting ideas for things to do for 4-5 year olds. Thinking about bringing some big equipment and probably have the crew swing by as well. I'm totally open to ideas here and willing to spend a few bucks for the kids. May try to order pretend hard hats for them if I can find some.

I would bring some to plant. And if you could start a seed or acorn with the glass/jar and paper towel trick, that would be awesome as well. Bring seeds etc for them to do also. Avacado works well with tooth picks and a ball jar. Just something they can start and plant. Bring the bucket truck and the boom truck with something to pick up. Maybe let the kids try a lever, up and down or something. Propane guy let my boys try it once and I bet it is something they will never forget.
Nice thing about the planting thing, is they get to take it home and such. I still remember doing that back when I was that age.

I did the same thing Willie. I brought the mini with a couple big Oak logs the show the kids how we manage large wood after a removal. My son jumped on the machine with me and showed them all how he could run it. It was fun. I handed out tube trees at the end, with my biz card inside, and told the kids to always replant when you remove.
Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good ideas! Thanks for the link Sean, exactly what I was thinking of

Haha, yeah, the APTA Launching a throw ball too!

I know most little boys love big trucks! Mine sure did at least! The equipment idea is great, as are sending home trees. Just remember to keep it simple as most kids that age have the attention span of a gnat! Good on you for doing this and remember to keep it fun.

What a cool thing! 30 years ago I led a troop of young scouts into the forest to teach them how to identify the local species. It was one of the finer moments in my life.

Bring some 3' pieces of rope to give them, and teach them to tie a bowline.
It can't be any harder than trying to teach most groundies how to tie that knot.

Haha, kids this age can't tie their shoes!

Yah, I'm looking forward to it Jerry

Kids that can't tie their shoes or fix flat tires, but know more about computers and "smartphones" than I ever will.

Haha, kids this age can't tie their shoes!

Yah, I'm looking forward to it Jerry

Funny thing, in my opinion, a bowline is simpler than a shoe string knot. Kindergarten age kids learn a shoe-string knot. Grown men can't learn a bowline????

My son has shown most of my helpers how to tie a Bowline. He learned when he was 4. I find having him show them kinda speeds up the process.

A tiny tree in a pot each - something with your company name on to take home

When I was in Scouts, we got trees from the Forestry service in paper quart milk cartons.
You can also use egg cartons they can just plant of they are starts.
I bet your forestry service has them cheap by the hundred if you look it up...
I know they closed that one nursery up there they used to get seedlings from in 08.. But maybe if you look deeper?
http://www.oregon.gov/odf/privateforests/pages/seedlings.aspx

Not sure where the grown men thing came in.
Yeah, we have done seedlings before, I can source them locally.
Good one B, thanks

Some of those multi-species grafted deals.

I am not a fruit tree-ologist, but gather you can grow different stone fruit( pitted fruit- cherry, nectarine, peach maybe) grafted onto one tree. Probably whatever grouping has apple, pear, and Asian pear type fruits can all be grafted onto another tree.

That's some magic to a little kid, 3-4 different fruits on one tree.

Back