The Hunicke Interviews: Gerald Beranek

Not meaning to take away from this thread, but Reg your videos are probably what kept me interested in learning more about climbing. I stumbled across a poplar removal video (I believe in England) on AS and was in awe. I realized how much I didn't know about rigging. It actually humbled me. And thanks to members here I'm learning and progressing much faster than I ever have. Guess I'm trying to say thanks to all of you guys and gals.

You are kind, my friend.

And pretty smart too, Reg. At your age, I was just beginning to hit my best years so far as being sought out for the jobs nobody else relished, or could even visualize how to approach, and it was another decade beyond that before my worn out body began to undercut what my experience and accumulated skills would allow me to accomplish. I was strongest, had more stamina, could work harder at 32, but was faster getting things done at 42. One's brain is the sharpest tool you will ever deploy, if you can use it wisely.

The best is ahead for you sir, unless I'm sadly mistaken.

Thanks Burnham. I understand. I'm in good form as things stand. Touch wood I stay healthy.

Treebilly, I agree about the forums. Great resource....learning, sharing, social etc. I'm not against Facebook or anything but I just find a lot of it so self centred and agenda driven in comparison. I suppose thats the point :lol:

No offense to Facebook users. I was talking about them others, not you.

New to the arborist world by about 4-5 years but very much self-taught climber. Learned almost everything via these books that the greats have written and by watching the greats (August Reg Bixler and other forum members). Have been fortunate to have a great mentor for tree care. This interview and the future ones are absolutely Amazing and beyond words. Even when I show people not in the tree world they just seem to "Get it" that they are watching amazing history. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge from all!!!!

Welcome J! There's giant sequoias here like Beranek and Burnham, the two killer B's. Then there's the rest of us. Make yourself comfortable and jump right in.

"Beranek and Burnham, the two killer B's"

Hahaha...have not heard that before but it is good..if you coined that you get an attaboy.

Killer B's.....I wholeheartedly agree.:thumbup:

I can only imagine. We just got 20 inches and its bitter cold now. Laid off but out working for a company im helping start out. Weeknd work so far but it might be to deep for the next few weekends=(

I will do my best Gary and it is nice meeting you. But you know mother nature can be a bitch and has a mind of her own. I personally love the snow for some odd reason. Maybe is still the lil kid in me.
Welcome to the House, MMM...keep the snow up there, please.:D Dixie and snow don't play well together.

I can only imagine. We just got 20 inches and its bitter cold now. Laid off but out working for a company im helping start out. Weeknd work so far but it might be to deep for the next few weekends=(

Use mini to push the snow out of the job site. I just did that last tuesday for a big "highly valuable" black walnut cleared the whole front yard.

So stoked I finally ordered the Fundamentals of General Tree Work. Now time to get the Working Climber videos and High Climber and Timber Fallers book. Mr. Beranek is one bad ass human!

Really enjoyed watching this August. Awesome video, about an awesome tree climber:) Fundamentals was the first book I purchased when I decided I wanted to be a professional tree climber...many thanks, and look forward to more.

Jerry and August, Finally got to watch the show. It should be required viewing in all arboriculture programs around the country. I had the pleasure of climbing a redwood with Willie and Frans and friends in 2009, but it was a "runty little" 200 footer. I agree that it is a religious experience. Jerry arranged that for me with Frans as he was in RI at ISA conference when I was able to get out to CA. If you have never met this gentleman in person and had the opportunity to visit with him, it should be added to your bucket list. He is right up there with Alex Shigo and other greats in the business as someone to inspire and teach.
Great interview.

Back