SAKA knee ascender...first impressions

BOTS

TreeHouser
Richard Mumford is building the SAKA (self advancing knee ascender)

I got one last week and really like it.

The double bungee advances very nice with authority

Its shorter than the HAAS but gives you a bigger step which is nice

It comes with a foot loop that you can leave on your boot and just clip it in and go, clip it off and work...I really like this feature!

I like hi-viz so asked him to build me an all red one ;)

so far I give it a 10 out of 10.... :thumbup:

$110 + ship. Hoping mine gets here today. I like the detachable footloop and did not want to dish out for a haas 2.0 and the new boots.

Richard is a cool guy!
He posts as "yoyoman" over on the Buzz.
I'm not sure if he is a member here, but I just sent him a pm regarding such.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting the great pics and info.. What does it stow like when done ascending? Roll up a bit and go in ditty bag?

Hi Merle
You cant roll it up but it can stow on saddle anywhere you can clip it to

I just leave mine on the bridge, doesnt seem to get hung up on much....

Man I'm impressed! !
You are 69 and am willing to try SRT
I only know a very few climbers your age and non of those would even consider to trying something new.

Good for you man.

PCTree,
Thanks for saying that. I've been lucky to be able to continue to do this. What has really helped are these new devices that folks here have developed to make climbing a lot easier than it was even 5 years ago, and the tips and ideas that people on this site have been sharing.

Husabud,
Thank you for the address. I will send a message to Richard and see if I can purchase the Saka.

Thanks for the nice reviews.
Here is a video of recent builds.

It is 110.00 plus shipping and plus 5.00 if you use paypal, I also accept checks and I'm very trusting so if someone wants to tell me the "check is in the mail", I will send the SAKA.

I can also build a SAKA from one of your un-used chest ascenders even some foot ascenders etc, just has to have a place to sew in the SAKA body, send that to me plus a check and I will send you a useable SAKA.

richard@magthrowbag.com and we can exchange addresses.

At the moment I am helping guide a group climb in Costa Rica so I will not be able to make any for a couple of weeks.
Just climbed a 167 foot white oak yesterday and hope to climb one today over 175 feet.

Again, thanks for the nice reviews.

Richard

Hey...welcome, Richard. Thanks for dropping in and for the good info. Costa Rica sounds like a wonderful place to be. We'd love to see pictures of your climbs when you get the chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your welcome Richard, glad I could help getting the word out on a good knee ascender :thumbup:

Yoyo man in the house, Wecome
Nice gadget!!:-)
Know I wish I didn't just order a hass(treesuff said it will be hear tuesday)
Order it Thursday seen this post Friday.
Story of my life:(

question: with the strap being as stiff as it appears, could you do away with the bungee altogether and just lift the ascender with your foot?

It would be extremely difficult to keep it in line, it could also be attached to gaffs for a similar configuration to what you are thinking. With the gaff idea you loose most of the efficiency as your knee goes forward of the line pushing you back when it is best to stay forward.

Again, thanks for the good comments. Lots of great people here for sure.

P.S. I had another great climb today, was about 170' in a white oak, more fun tomorrow.

I had wondered about if the plastic tubing was necessary? In my homemade HAAS the tendency of the tenex to squeeze under tension prevented all movement of the bungee without the tubing in place.

The webbing, however, has a consistent diameter for the bungee to run in and has some limited stiffness when sewn in the many layers of your design. This would allow a little more "flexibility" in how you could store the device when not in use.

Back