The Homebrew Thread?

It seems this thread has taken a bit of a derail with the whole "Bass" kerfuffle, but I'll throw my $0.02 in. As for Bass, it was always good when it was still a true import, and the AB/InBev version didn't stray too much from the original, but it has sort of disappeared from a lot of places I normally frequent. I still find it at some bars on tap, but with the better quality microbrews around, I haven't found any reason to go back (unless the rest of the menu is unappealing, eg: nothing but citrusy IPAs; NFG). I used to be a big Newcastle Brown Ale fan, but once it started being brewed here, I could tell the difference and started shunning it.

If looking for a truly delicious, officially British brewed Pale Ale, have your local liquor store start getting the Samuel Smith's version. I've had it a few times, and it was quite tasty. Heck, I've always loved their Nut Brown (have not found a Nut Brown that is ever bad), and their Taddy Porter is up there on my porter list. Boddingtons Pub Ale is another that's better than most, albeit I hate that I can only find it in cans.

Also Dave, you know that Vermont has some of the damn finest breweries around. I've had ales from Switchback, Otter Creek, Long Trail, Harpoon and others on tap up there that would keep me satisfied for a good long time. Heck, you can probably find good Smuttynose brews all around as well, one of New Hampshire's finest.

Hmmm, just looked through the House, and haven't found an official beer only thread. Looks like I've got work to do...

Yeah , I only like but a very few ... yes Sammy Smith Lager is excellent but not regularly available here. As far as Green Mt. brews go none of them do it for me though I used to drink lots of Long Trails , hell even Double Bags but those days are gone as they're too heavy.

Speaking of home / micro brews ... guy here started in his basement then went to Europe to "study". Opened a brew house and eventually hit medium big popularity selling regionally and even leasing additional production space. His Firehouse Amber Ale is and was an excellent second choice for me (the empty keg in my fridge is Firehouse) .... business levels changed plus pandemic closeing , plus plus his building is now condemned , so no Firehouse either.

Dave, help me out here; are you looking for a lighter style ale or a more flavorful lager? You started with Bass, then mention Sam Smith's lager (which I wasn't even aware of, as I've only seen ales from them; did look on their website and saw it in that organic category they do), then you mention an Amber Ale as your favorite second. If I'm reading you correctly, you're looking for a "milder" style Ale, which tend to have more flavor and character, but which many shun thinking ales are by nature "heavier" than lagers. As for Long Trail, their traditional Ale is not heavy at all, and is almost comparable to Bass, albeit with better flavor, IMO. Maybe you want to expand your horizon, and try some other styles? Here are some suggestions for some styles I recommend to people, most of whom were traditional, bland lager style drinkers before:

Dunkel Lagers: German style that has a deep color, loaded with good flavor, but not heavy at all. Hofbrau, Warsteiner (top 10 beer of mine) and even von Trapp up by you has one (which I now have to figure out how to get).

Vienna Style Lagers: Almost always amber in color and way better flavored than most. Dos Equis Amber, Great lakes Eliot Ness Amber, and von Trapp Vienna Style.

Mild(er) Brews: Switchback Ale (always loved that stuff), Sam Adams Lager (always a good option, IMO), Michelob Amber Bock (when you find it, have your liquor store make it a regular)

There are countless others, but I've only got so much time each day (and I tried to keep it to ones I figure you'd find up in your neck of the woods). Good luck on finding your next favorite beer!

Back