The Homebrew Thread?

Jed

TreeHouser
Just putting some feelers out there. My wife just made me a Double Black I.P.A. that's got me about half-way to the moon right now. Just curious as to whether this possible thread could have legs. Anybody else out there doing this stuff? I'm just thinking, "Where's this beer been my whole life?"

Sounds good to me. I have made cider and wine, but no beer yet. My son in law makes a bunch of wild ones. He made some that had rye whiskey and some with raspberries that I can remember. I love trying something different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Me too, I have two different friends who both have stills. They always tell me, "If your beer don't turn out... run er through this and she will!" ;)

I've toyed with building a still, but no way do I have the patience to wait 7 years for whiskey to age!

My grandfather made some moonshine once. He took a drink and passed out only to awaken the next morning. He stored it away in the crawl space, never to try it again for forty years.

When he died my aunt threw it all away.

I did the whole moonshine scene one night at Camp Lejeune. That was plenty for me. Instead of my bunk spinning in the typical fashion, the spins felt like cartwheels.

Thinking back, a buddy went home on leave to Kingsport, TN and brought a mason jar back. Cost him $5 back in the woods somewhere. A few of us slugged it down in a circle pretty fast and partied our asses off. For about 30 minutes......

I never much cared for it either, in it's purest form at least. The stuff they sell in the liquor stores now isn't bad, as long as you keep it in the freezer, but I doubt you can go blind drinking it either!

You go blind when its distilled wrong and it turns to wood alcohol. Even then you don't go blind. You get sick as hell or die. Light a capful of pure moonshine on fire. A clearish flame is safe. Bluish flame, well, give it to your enemy.

Now there's moonshine, and then there's moonshine. The transplants from Serbia in my neck of the woods (Boeing and Microsoft folk predominantly) make a wonderful brandy that's only about fifty proof. They can use pears or plumbs or, as they say, "anything." Man, that stuff is smooth as silk and really wonderful.

Weird thing about my wife's beer is that it's absolutely impossible to get any kind of headache from when your drinking anything like a moderate amount. Same thing with the Serb's brandy. :/:

...I'm headed towards home keg dispense. ...only drink one kind anyways . Have empty Keg , old unused fridge , and CO2 tank so far.

...I'm headed towards home keg dispense. ...only drink one kind anyways . Have empty Keg , old unused fridge , and CO2 tank so far.

So what kind?

I'd be really interested in a What Kind of Beer do You Drink and Why thread. You can't tell me that taste is everything, and that nobody but me is interested in what kinds of beer tend not to give them headaches.

Bass ale is his favorite if I'm not mistaken. And I look forward to it Dave! Porters are mine. I've wanted to attempt it countless times.

Just met a guy up the hill who does this. They came over to the house for tea (he's from England), and now he's got me itchin' to get all set up. He's got what he calls a full-on kegerator--nitris, CO2, and everything. He brews a nice, light, drinkable Manny's style pale.

Bass Ale Now ! .... Assembled the elements , cleaned out my fridge and removed shelves. Drilled two holes in sidewall. CO2 in , made a faucet w 1/4" Brass for Beer Out. Never really buy much food anyways but still have room. Had to fab up some shelves.

Awesome! How long does a keg last? How many beers in one? We'll need to see pics.

Food is overrated when you can just have a fridge full of beer!

I tend to be of the same mind, Justin. My wife's off to the brewstore at the moment. She should be cookin up some black double IPA tonight. :beer:

Back