Ancestry, any one else interested?

My paternal grandfather had fought with the Germans in 1941-1945. War has finished in the city of Königsberg (now called Kaliningrad). In August and September 1945 has participated in the war against Japan.
      Another interesting fact - in July 1945, the house of my grandfather was bombed with German aircraft. Two bombs were dropped, and for some reason they did not explode. My father was near the house, and saw all this. Just recently I found one of these bombs (my great-grandfather hid them in secret from everyone).

I cant say why the bomb failed to explode. Perhaps is the fate. If the bomb exploded I would not be in this world.
I examined one of those bombs - fuze so far in place.

I did not know the Russians saw action against Japan..

I have long paid attention to the lack of knowledge about the the world history. In US schools do not teach "History"?
In Russia, in the schools studying all aspects of world history from the 4th to 11th grade. Since the Stone Age to modern days.

It was always my impression from the WW history I studied in high school that Russian involvement was primarily in the European theatre...what with them doing such a good job of stalling and killing Germans (and unfortunately slaughtering many of their own folks as a sideline...a la Stalin). There was very little mention of Russia being involved outside the European Theatre.

I have studied quite a bit about the Pacific Theatre, spent a lot of time with the veterans who fought there, especially in the CBI...none of them ever mentioned anything about Russians being there.

You can generally be a likable fellow, Andrey, but your question, "In US schools do not teach "History"?" just has that slight smell of ass-holery to it.

Nope, I know very little about Russians fighting Japs. How's you knowledge about Myitkyina, knee mortars, Kohima, Nphum GA? Quick, tell me...how many battalions were in the 5307th Composite Unit (oops, Merrill's Marauders in case you haven't been to Burma with the guys that actually killed the jap invaders there --they showed me their actual battle grounds).

You might want to check the definition of the words....arrogant and condescending to see how your words sometimes come across...guess that's enough for now. Maybe I need to check again the word "assumption" or "misunderstood" from this end. Maybe your translator system just has problems. If so it seems to have that problem fairly often. End of rant.

You should not to strain! I just wonder. Nothing I can tell you about knee mortars, and other things. However, I know where gunpowder was invented. On the other hand I recall from school history lessons about the war of American independence from Britain, I read the "Declaration of Independence", I know about the war between North and South in 1861-1865, the great depression, and all the rest, as the United States or any other country. ..

Gary, I once read an American book about the exploration of space, while visiting a friend in Oregon. Yuri Gagarin wasn't even mentioned!!

I think many countries are guilty of teaching their select version of "history". We've had to wait for the generation that was involved in WW2 to die off, before the real history of how countries like Denmark, Holland and france dealt with the Germans became known.
I was taught in school that the Danes were heroes of resistance during the war, when the fact was that 99,9% were collaborators.

Just like now we know that it wasn't to spare American lives that Truman decided to drop the nuke on Japan, but to scare the russians. What have the school books told us about that.

The new trend in Russia is to no longer view Stalin as the great Satan, but as a great patriot, who did what was necessary for his country.
The latest school books will be testament to that.

As for the rest of your post, I agree.

Just like now we know that it wasn't to spare American lives that Truman decided to drop the nuke on Japan, but to scare the russians.

The most interesting thing here is that the Soviet Union declared war on Japan on August 8, 1945, and the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima August 6, 1945.

During the reign of Obama how many countries were attacked and were cast into chaos? Still need to look who is the Great Satan. By the way - http://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1715887

Stig: Your last post was unbelievable. I can't believe anyone could EVER try to spin Stalin that way. That's disgusting, and yet... just believable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just made contact with a woman that had information on the Whitecaps.

Turns out her husbands distant relative was a Whitecap, and he was killed by the Conrad brothers that morning.

He had five children.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I went to 23 and Me and got a DNA test done.

Being adopted, I often wondered where I was from.

Got a little update today. Seems a good portion of my DNA is shared with the native people of this region. Guess it makes sense, birth certificate said "eskimo".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakha_Republic

That is a good read there, Jim. Somehow I already knew the term Yakut (which you have the best chance of being)...have you used that term before or has it floated in from somewhere else?

When I was a baby I had almond shaped eyes, which kinda looked weird with blond hair!

So far I have found out I am mostly Welsh and English, and Native something or other. With a bit of Norwegian.

The Welsh makes sense from where I was born, Butte, MT. Lots of miners over there from Cornwall and Wales.

Yakut is a bit interesting, but looking at pictures of them I can see some facial similarities, like my nose.

Interesting to me.

Does anyone know how to get records unsealed?

I know I mentioned it before, but I was adopted through the Catholics. It was in '83.....they year before they stopped sealing the records.

They sealed the records even if both parties wanted them open. Oh, well.

So I hired a private investigator that was recommended by the Nuns.....as far as I knew that was the rules. I just got a hold of him and he has noting.

He wont tell me a family name or anything. Maybe he is waiting for me to offer more money?

Does anyone know how to petition the court to get records unsealed? Is it impossible to do if you are adopted?

I figure I might as well do some looking of my own. My birth mother may not be alive yet, but my brother probably is.

? ? ?

Just a test.
My signature turned all funny, which is why I removed it.
Now, reading back through the posts here, I saw that the Norwegian poem I quoted for Willard had gone the same way.

Butch says it is not the forum.

I wrote a Danish O with a slash across it, a German/Swedish O with an umlaut ( two dots over it) and a Danish A with a circle on top.

They have, in my version turned to 3 question marks.

Do anyone see them as spomething else?

Where are they? Where did you post this O?

Was that something in your sig?

edit- ah, I see what Jim sees.

I have no idea why that happens.

Fitting, really.

All those goofy foreign letters may as well just be question marks to me.

I was shopping for a Russian knife sharpening system last night....and the page did not translate.

Mostly question marks.

Look at post #12 in this thread.
Gone all weird.

Man, you are on your toes as forum keeper.
I posted this and one minute later you are on it.

Ever thought of making a late career as some sort of emergency service dispatcher.:)

Back