NFL playoffs

I dont feel like I had a go at anyone here. Sorry if I came off like that. No, no one on here has ever given me shit for firefighting. Now religion, politics, farming on the other hand......:)

Aren't the playoffs over now?

Im gonna root for the Pats. Even though I dont care for Tom Brady.

I guess that is silly, I am way closer to Seattle. I normally root for the Cowboys and the Chiefs.

seahawks fan here, pretty much married into it. Wifes family are huge football (seahawks) fans. I was never really into until I met my wife and now I go to a couple of games a year. Its fun.
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will never understand sports.

I can totally understand not understanding sports. I see a lot of that amongst hard core working men, fwiw. Some people just can't relate or they are too busy with other things to pay attention to sports. Or maybe super- gay sports like baseball turn them off:P But sports is a microcosm of life itself. It speaks to the human condition. That's why it is literally a multi billions dollar industry, cuz many, many peeps are willing to pay some money, sometimes a lot of money, to be a part of the experience, to potentially witness, in a short, limited time frame, the highs and lows of life, the emotion and effort and heart and toughness and skill and will etc etc all contained within a sporting event. If you don't understand sports you aren't understanding something that has been a part of the human experience for ages.

Ive heard some respected sports casters say that was the most brutal loss a pro team has ever taken, given the importance of the game and how the whole thing unfolded at the end. They're saying the guy who muffed the onside kick is going to have to move out of GreenBay. Games like that are why people watch sports. Just insane things can happen when the chips are down, way down, if you don't give up.

Okaaay..

Hey Mick, were the nfl games on or readily available over there? Just curious.

Dang Cory! Amazing post. YEAH JIM!!! WHAT COREY SAID!!!

Dang Dude lay off! Give us little people our chance to try to unite with something a little bigger than ourselves for ten minutes will ya! Sure our rainy and gloomy lives at the Boeing factory are miserable and meaningless, but not during the glorious moment when the hero we identify with (for some unexplainable and irrational reason) waltzes across the end zone. That was awesome baby YEAH!!! :rockon: :beer: :rockon:

Alright fellers. I'll keep me silly mouth shut.

I watched a documentary about the Brooklyn Dodgers once. Those people are still upset. I get it. I was upset after I watched it.

I am not completely backwards when it comes to the human scene. Hell, we watch rodeo out here.

Hey Mick, were the nfl games on or readily available over there? Just curious.

I think so on the pay channels, there was a lot of buzz on social media, more so than usual about American football after that game, lot of pro sportsmen ie soccer, rugby etc have friendships with American sportsmen and through Twitter Fb etc talk about the games and this has a trickle down effect.
American football has a strong following here that's for sure.

I think people are going with "Brazil Nuts," now Jim. No man, I don't want you to keep your mouth shut. Just wanted to express the weird escapism that I've seen a lot of guys at my work display when they feel like "their team," is doing well. I mean: it's weird you know?

So many guys never get into anything at all, very much, whether tree work, fire fighting, rodeo or whatever. Then, uhhh... maybe their relationships don't really work out also. I'm thinkin' that sports sort of supplies a bit of a surrogate meaning or something. Its like a religion. Maybe that's the angle where I feel like I can identify with them a bit. We want to know that there's something going on out there a whole lot bigger than ourselves that we could somehow be on board with.

I can totally understand not understanding sports. I see a lot of that amongst hard core working men, fwiw. Some people just can't relate or they are too busy with other things to pay attention to sports. Or maybe super- gay sports like baseball turn them off:P But sports is a microcosm of life itself. It speaks to the human condition. That's why it is literally a multi billions dollar industry, cuz many, many peeps are willing to pay some money, sometimes a lot of money, to be a part of the experience, to potentially witness, in a short, limited time frame, the highs and lows of life, the emotion and effort and heart and toughness and skill and will etc etc all contained within a sporting event. If you don't understand sports you aren't understanding something that has been a part of the human experience for ages.

Ive heard some respected sports casters say that was the most brutal loss a pro team has ever taken, given the importance of the game and how the whole thing unfolded at the end. They're saying the guy who muffed the onside kick is going to have to move out of GreenBay. Games like that are why people watch sports. Just insane things can happen when the chips are down, way down, if you don't give up.

Since this thread is already derailed, I'll continue for a bit.
That is all fine and well, but why does it turn people into brown shirts? It is the rampant nationalism that is one of the things that really turn me off by sport.
Look at the hooligans or for that matter all the ordinary people who almost start goose stepping down main street when their team, or country wins a sporting event.
Denmark won the European soccer championship ( Despite us not being Europeans) sometime in the 80es.
The whole country ( Bar one) was in an uproar.
Vindication! Now it didn't matter that we played possum in WW2 ( Because everybody figured Hitler would win, so better stay on good terms with the Germans) because we had beaten the germans in soccer.

Gimme a break!

It was a glorious win, 1992 actually, John Jensen scored. I remember it well.

We cheered the plucky Danes to the rooftops.

noun
a change or variation occurring in the course of something.
interchange or alternation, as of states or things.
vicissitudes, successive, alternating, or changing phases or conditions, as of life or fortune; ups and downs:
They remained friends through the vicissitudes of 40 years.
regular change or succession of one state or thing to another.
change; mutation; mutability.

So what's the date for the Superbowl?

We get the NFL live over here on Monday mornings...
Once the Redskins flop out, I don't watch much, but I'll watch the Superbowl.

Back