Advice for small scale logging operation-- Laminated Root Disease Doug-fir

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I looked at it some more today, while doing preschool stuff.

Looks pretty flat overall, with the biggest obstructions being old windthrown trees' root wads (no big root plates, due to the disease) and downed logs and limbs. A 4WD tractor could probably do a lot with the terrain. The property overall is less than 2 acres.

Knowing how much farther the preschool property extends leaves me more options to fell things whole toward a good layout for skidding and loading. A concern is trying to yard out logs with stubs jammed in the ground. Since I won't be working with a skidder with more power to shear stubs, I'm wondering if Wraptoring up and stripping to chip and blow into the woods makes sense. Often, I can throw a line and weight from one tree to another tree, then pull in my Wraptor linewithout trying to set a line from the ground and deal with a lot of brush again and again.

30ef6285dca92bde77af1f457cddc48a.jpg
c5ac8a9df6c55aeb7888347aa771a63c.jpg
1ad8702ca42c92152461bff656ec4e19.jpg

I go back and forth between laying a bunch of trees down right next to the school on the left , and right next to the yellow water tank on the right. Probably 50 feet wide. The tank is non-functional but something I shouldn't hit.

Laying a bunch down right into the parking lot could be easy for skidding and loading, but also a lot more cleanup, protecting the windows from material thrown and possibly touch up some of the pains , and a possible cluster in the teardrop driveway . Laying them down further from the school into the woods and skidding farther could mean less stress of not hitting the preschool itself and more room to work.

Last picture is a snag at the edge of the property.

Ultimately, I don't know if it's even worth my while to do the work.

If they can get half the log value they might be better off with more impact that will grow back in on its own if a gypo logging outfit comes in. More money for new play ground equipment.

I've been trying to run into my neighbor, a gypo logger, and ask him about it but he doesn't seem to be around much.

I could have the property for spring break to work on and get some of the work done. The rest would have to come after school ends in June. which starts residential busy season and I don't want to have too much to do that I can't delegate out such as building work, scheduling work, being the foreman at the job site.

Sean I heard that the mills were doing that price break on the short logs on the coast, which is really lame. They don't want to pay the higher scale with a short log. But you will get less ground disturbance, easier to handle etc. and could do it all with a tractor. You can raise the 3 point to get one end of the log off the ground. Also just roll them over to clean up the stubs so they don't drag. We have a Farmi winch, PTO driven for doing yard jobs, but if you don't need a winch there, you can just choke them up tight and raise one end a little off the ground. 40 H.P. is kind of small, but if it is 4x4, manual tranny it will surprise you what it is capable of.
Pat

I went down with my neighbor who is a gypo logger.

he knows how to sort log for better value, the markets for different logs,etc. I think it might be better to get him on it, and for me to stick to residential climbing work. I would have to rent machines or sub things in like the tractor.

Charlie is talking about 41' export logs, that pay twice as much per board-foot as short logs but need a big machine to move them. It be a matter of clearing out more trees on the other side of the playground that don't show infection but would remain right at the edge of the playground and school building as remnant trees.actually a few trees are on the playground as old edge trees with limbs getting overly long right over the asphalt track/ play ground edge.

Another part are the tall trees on the playground... Can they withstand the wind after clearing. There is a tall alder definitively leaning over the school building. A tall hemlock is right in the middle of the playground. Both like, and grew up with shade and cool root zones, which they like.

obviously Charlie has self-interest in getting more work out of the same job, and the threat of the remnant trees in a root disease area, or just generally hundred foot tall trees over a preschool playground. Some kids there start at 18 months old, going up to 5 years. Not very durable to failing tree parts.

We were taking a quick look, he thought on a 50/50 split, with the initial area, he'd take 3-4 days, and the preschool might get $6-7000.

Hard for me to touch.

Back and forth. How much to cut?

Pulling 41' for export logs would make for much more value.

A local guy has a Garrett 15 skidder, within 7 miles. The small footprint is great. I ran a Garrett 16 a bit at St Parks.

Another monthly Board meeting this week.

Thrashing the school grounds and opening up that whole secondary edge to more wind seems rough.

I'm going to propose a selective clearing, with the mini to move the chipper to the trees, speedlining right to the chipper on thicker crown trees, so as not to destroy the understory, or have to wrestle a lot of big limbs through brush and uneven ground. Wraptor up some thinner crowned ones and simply free fall branches. I can set a throwline from one top to another, and tranfer trees or Wraptor up the next. Leave the spars up until its time.

Looking at the Logrite Buck Arch as a tag axle for using with my Boxer or other machine. 39" wide seems good. Not standard gate wide, but heavier capacity and width capacity than the Junior arch.

I will chip it all if I can get the chipper to it. Maybe burn a bit. Try to preserve as much of the non-susceptible trees as possible/ reasonable. Some good sized alder, maple, cherry, hemlock (LRR-tolerant on the wet, west-side of WA).

No school on Th or Sat, so I can fill two days a week, as I see fit to start on the project, rather than waiting until June. There is week Spring Break (we are on the local school district schedule) in April for skidding/ rolling logs out.

I think I can do okay with less revenue than a big skidder will be able to pull in with 41' export logs, if I get 100% of the wood. No big slash piles. No big logging show. Less collateral damage, less restoration. Hopefully, the neighbors will allow use of their undeveloped field for a handful on the property line, next to the play ground. That would save the asphalt track and mean logs, rather than rounds from some good sized trees. I don't want firewood.

There is a Garrett 15 skidder nearby that I might be able to hire. Small machine.

Maybe looking at a hybrid approach. Another parent does some track-hoe brush clean-up and log forwarding for power plant right of ways. He thinks that could be the ticket for this particular project: mostly flat, with a pretty narrow, linear shape.

I found out that many playground trees can go onto the neighbor's property, who will be clearing an area soon for horse pasture WIN. That mean not crushing the asphalt riding path that encircles the playground. Most of the non-susceptible playground trees (maple, cherry, alder, hemlock) won't be damaged, reducing the remnant tree effect on the block of Doug-fir at the edge of the playground (limbs overhanging the playground).

Might consider burning. I can feed pre-stacked, via speedline, piles into a clearing fire with my mini. Easier than chipping.

Board of Directors meeting at the preschool (aka the more active parents) decided on Thursday night to have me try to save as much as possible, especially close to the school building/ nature trail/ play ground. I'll take the timber value for the work, more or less.

Thinking of getting a rental 10,000 pound excavator, which I'll need on a home site clearing job this week to move logs. It will give me a good idea of its capability for skidding. Might have to go larger.

Spring Break is this week. I got a jump on it today. I figure that stripping the trees will essential neutralize the threat until the summer. If the branches lay for a bit, they will only get lighter. Mid June is my next extended block of time to work.

The neighbor's plans dovetailed perfectly with ours. He plans to clear his land for pasture. I'm going to dump some from the play ground out there.

Burning and leaving brush lay will take care of disposal.

Hard to know how the compensation will work out. If I come out well, I can put more effort into restoration. The school expects to have to do some clean up, replanting and restoration. Hoping for some export logs, if I can move 26'+, up to 41'.

That's the red trailer for the Ogre. Hard to see the truck.
ab4264fa2efb590622635b778ccb80d6.jpg

Take that, overturned old stump.
2e3065fc13631d1e64483b7c2c629e15.jpg

Climb and strip one, swing to the next, working on the way down.

So far the non susceptible understory trees have not taken a beating.:)
14f43f61ad91e06ad4f8ab3a42e8b741.jpg

Small diameter trees that I could stack 16' logs.
785fd7b6f12b51d7f24095d17d2b5fbf.jpg

Ogre love.
b0d9a351ffa90ee798e05f7250fadde7.jpg

5f344798517175c8b674aaff9890a569.jpg

Who needs overturned stumps in the landing? Not me.
dbeb8e8ce62adabd772cc4eb10bdb3b9.jpg

Working a bit this week at the preschool. Got rain yesterday.

Took a bit of work to push over so I could pull out the stump. This will be the loader track. Another preschool parent, former contractor, bought a mini-x, 8000 pounds. He thinks he can do a lot with it to move logs. I'm still stepping limbs, and started feeling some small/ medium stuff that I can move, or that won't be in my way. Grapple piles feed the fire well.

f5367cf2c9a871bd60647389599375e6.jpg

4db355d2f6c6917afa09b24e1a9489ad.jpg

A lot less brush at the preschool
88fed230a280ce03d8dfd3d1758fe0ec.jpg

So, the mills aren't buying, ATM. One mill has shut down.

LUCKILY, a parent works for the local hydro power plant. They clear and sell, as needed. Right now they are working on a building site clearance job. He is more in the know.

I've only texted a bit with him, so I don't know the details. He mentioned that 26'10" is the magic number right now. Smaller wood will be easier to deal with.

I am establishing a skid trail, which is why I pushed over two alders at the roots. I think I can now get my chipper in pretty easily to a lot of the area. School will be over soon, and I can get after it.

I'm thinking that if I cut tall brush flat under a couple trees in the "nature trail", it will preserve the roots, and regrow better. Grapples pull up a lot of roots when picking up piles, stacked or jumbled.

Back