Hunting 2015

Stalked up on a herd of about ten and shot a nice meat hog with the .270. The second pic is not for the faint of heart. I rarely get exits on head shots, but when it happens, well, a picture is worth a thousand words. No trailing required

image4-3.jpg image5.jpg

Thanks Scott. I thought Cal had 'em too. My Bro-in-law has accounted for 16 this season. He's a lot madder at 'em than I am, plus, who wants to butcher 16 hogs? He actually takes most of them to a processor and gives the meat to the needy. I'm too cheap to use a processor, plus I take great care with what I feed my family and friends and processors get in a hurry sometimes. I've eaten some of his sausage and got a little grit a time or too.

Hmmm, u got pigs in your area Stephen? cool...public land or private?

You can always go hunt wild boar out on Catalina Island, allowed as part of the game management program.

I applied for Wyoming elk tags a few days ago, an outfitter there owes me a hunt in exchange for a gator hunt/fishing trip that I guided him on. It' going to be a backcountry archery rut hunt. Anybody here been on a similar hunt? It'll be my first elk hunt and I'm pumped.

It sure sounds like it Cory, he says we'll be in the black timber for the most part and swears some of 'em will be so close when they bugle they'll just about blow snot on you. I know I'll have to do more running and aerobics to prepare the body but I guess there's not a lot you can do about the altitude change.

Good base fitness will help....but since you are close to sea level, take the time to acclimate before going balls out

Try and spend a night at 7000-8000. Sleeping at elevation triggers your body to produce red blood cells. Next day do a short day hike......then spend a night at higher elevation.....9-10k. Another short period of exercise will help the next.

How high are you gonna be going.....ain't no trees above 11k

Ray is about to get his wish, apparently:

Good News for Florida Bear Hunters
by Kristen A. Schmitt

In an effort to manage a growing black bear population and curb the rise in human-bear conflicts, Florida officials announced that they plan to revive an annual bear hunt as soon as this fall. Four recent bear encounters have led to serious human injury, including the mauling of two Seminole County women, and suburban developments continue to encroach on bear habitat in the vicinity of Ocala National Forest. The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission decided last week that it was time to consider hunting as a management tool.

So what does Jean-Claude Van Damme have to do with it?

Orlando Sentinel reporter Jon Busdeker recently released a video featuring the martial arts expert offering "bear hunting tips." (Van Damme actually filmed himself in front of a green screen and made the footage available online to anyone who wants to use it.) Busdeker uses the silly video to introduce the serious debate between Floridians who believe people—and their garbage and sprawl—are the problem and those who think the hunt will help restore balance.

Black bear hunting has been banned in Florida since 1994. The bear was listed as a threatened species for 20 years before that, but was delisted in 2012. Both the Sierra Club and the Humane Society of the United States oppose the fall hunt and requested that the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) hold off on their decision until the state finished surveying the Florida black bear population, but their request was not honored.

FWC officials say that many of the human-bear encounters stem from people leaving out food and garbage, which entices bears to come into neighborhoods. According to a recently conducted field study, residents who live in bear territory and use bear-proof garbage cans reduce human-bear conflicts by 95 percent, Business Insider reports. Bear-proof trash cans can cost around $200 each, but Busdeker points out that many of the neighborhoods in bear country are high-end, gated communities and there are assistance programs for residents who can't afford a safer trash can.

Thanks for the post Cory, I've heard the same rumblings, maybe they will open a season again at last. I'm really trying to be optimistic about the situation but I've seen how the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission has operated in the last few years and I must admit I'm not holding my breath. If they do open a season, for it to have any real effect, it MUST cover entire regions, including both private and public land. If hunting will only take place on public land (which I suspect would be the case), they will accomplish nothing. The argument about sprawl and garbage being the cause of the problem is definitely not true here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel bad for states with lousy game commissions. Here in PA, things aren't perfect on that end, but they are pretty good and getting better. There's some good people at the wheel that are science minded and are aggressively tackling some major habitat issues we created. We've lost a lot of grouse habitat in the last 30 years. They rewrote a management plan, about 140 pages, and after reading it, I'm pleased with the folks at the wheel on that. As far as game management goes, I don't have any complaints.

Chris I read Pennsylvania Game News regularly and you guys are lightyears ahead of Florida on game management. The FWC is more concerned about bad pr from the anti-hunters than managing wildlife. They do only marginally better with fish.

The wife and I will be headed to Eastern Washington in April to Hunt Merriam's Turkeys. We put in for Spring Black Bear permits, but won't know for another month if we've been drawn yet. :)

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
PA game news is a timeless heart warmer for me. I just recently scored a hard back 3 ring book binder with all the issues from 1977. I read all of them and was amazed at how times have changed.

This isn't hunting, but a little pest control. I downed 6 pigs this weekend. Yours truly on the trigger. The 2nd pig in this clip was also hit and never ran out from the other side of that tree because he was dead.

I know this bothers some of the tree hugging crowd. Pigs are pests in this area and there are tons of them. I killed 6 in about 30 min. To quote the quote in the sig above my post, I show up and frig shit up. Yes, I even enjoy it. Deal with it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l2T-DaKilkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I grind it or cube it. I love eating it.

This is not "hunting" with typical kills shots. This is eradication and center of mass shooting. As such, with 00-buck, some of the shots ruin what we would like to eat but there a tons of buzzards in this area so none goes to waste.

Worrying about what is or isn't done with the meat is about like removing cottonwoods and then worrying about the wood being wasted.

Back