Safety Chaps or Pants?

... Have a preference for chaps , basic style as full wrap chaps are stupid .... Have the pants and will use them when it's really cold. Never wear either climbing.

I have chainsaw pants but rarely wear them as I don't wear leg protection in the tree , as it seems to me that cutting your legs while climbing is one of your smaller worries whereas overheating and feeling frustrated about impediment to your movements could be a greater contributor to an accident. I can grab a pair of chaps quickly on the ground and put them on if I see a high enough risk in the cutting to want leg protection. I see bucking a log on flat dry ground as one situation and trudging through brush, limbing and bumping knots, and cutting high pressure binds as another situation.

Straps on chaps definitely catch on limbs. If you are working in brushe understory conditions it's a lot different than if you're out in a lawn . Chaps are one size fits most and cheaper. If there's only going to be one piece of leg protection purchased but multiple Sawyers it can be greater protection because more people will actually wear leg protection as its interchangeable , if you get chaps .

I hated climbing with chaps, I always felt like something would get hung up on them rigging something down. I wear chaps on the ground when cutting if I don't already have saw pants.

I climb in saw pants if I know I'll be running big saws in the tree. I don't wear saw protection for pruning and running top handled saws.

I wear front protection pants in the tree and on the ground, Francitals. Manage hydration and heat and a pair of the new generation saw pants are pretty good even in the hot.
The new pants are so light and flexible now, they don't get soaked and all heavy with sweat like the old ones used to.
Besides the padding helps guard against bumps and bruises and scrapes moving through the tree.
I find chaps to be cumbersome now.

Working out of a bucket I'll wear regular work trousers, my one concession to working in the heat.

I wish I could find some sneaker-like, steel toe work boots in size tiny.
Seen some good ones but they don't make them in my size. My steelies for ground work are too cumbersome to climb in so I go with hiking boots to climb, but miss having some toe protection.

Last week I attempted to cut my leg off, but was saved by my pants.
So I had to buy a new pair of pants, but even though they don't come cheap, i prefer that to growing a new tendon to my quadriceps.

Anyway, I asked for my usual Pfanner gldiator and was asked if I wanted the new Ventilaton model.
About 20 bucks more expensive, but since my one gripe about Gladiators have always been the poor ventilation, I went for them.

I've worn then for two days in the woods now, and they are simply the best saw pants I've tried.
So comfortable that today I forgot to take them off when i got home, and sat doing office work for a hour without noticing that I was wearing saw pants.

Now with both new pants and my new suspenders, I'm quite the fashion statement for woodsmen here.

Thanks for this recommendation, Stig. Great stuff to know.

For the original poster's question, if I'm planning to use a chainsaw in the tree, I wear chainsaw protective pants with front protection only. On the ground, I use chaps. Most of what little climbing I do compared to most of you folks involves only pruning cuts with a Silky saw, in which case I just wear jeans, and no saw protection. Before anyone jumps on this, I also wear the rest of my clothing, too.

Tim

I've finally picked up a better fitting pair of chainsaw pants. The other pair I had made me feel like a 6 year old in snow pants. I'm still going to get a pair of chaps, when they go on sale.

Okay, so I'm not a climber but I do try to use chaps whenever using a saw but they sure are hot! Great when it's cold outside - not so great otherwise...

For you guys who wear pants climbing, why bother to switch to chaps on the ground? I was thinking about trying pants but maybe they're not the ideal thing for ground work (and of course they are pricey!)

Ideal for ground work in my opinion, just more expensive, so many groundmen may avoid them for that reason. Chaps are some cooler in warm weather, I suppose that may also be a factor.

I never heard of a climber changing from pants to chaps once on the ground...that seems senseless to me.

Gladiators! Or the Clogger Zeros. (I probably already said that somewhere in this thread)

Chaps are convenient though, I like the Arborwear RAC's.

I keep my chainsaw pants all the time, even back at home. It becomes natural.
It's good for home work too, because it gives you a nice cushion on your legs against all the little scratches and bumps.
I feel naked in jeans now !

Chaps , wore out several pair mfgr. Tilton ... Haven't been able to buy same. "Husky" Chaps got returned unused , Labonville are okay I guess once you cut the threaded part that impedes leg moves. Yet they still lack a pocket .. Next pair I will try to see if Tilton Safety is still in business over in New Hampshire.

Inserts in my blue jeans. The inserts come with snaps already on them and for only a few dollars you can buy the female part of the snaps and put them in your jeans. I never liked the bulk of the chaps but I did like that they kept your pants fairly clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that's interesting, never heard of those, where do you get them?

Inserts in my blue jeans. The inserts come with snaps already on them and for only a few dollars you can buy the female part of the snaps and put them in your jeans. I never liked the bulk of the chaps but I did like that they kept your pants fairly clean.

Back