Veggie burger to save the world

Two doubles,wow.I can't eat that much .At 5 guys which is about two miles from me I get the"little" burger and small fries .6 bucks and change .Then again a little itty bitty fish sandwich is $3.50 at Mikey D's .

... I grew up on Mcdonalds, every fri nite, 3 cheeseburger, choc shake, large fri, apple pie…Mmmmmm. I love meat but I try to eat less and less of it.

LOL!! Cory, the meat in your Friday night meals was the only halfway decent component. Good meat is good for you but like any other food it can be abused and misused.

Has anyone read a food label lately? Trusting a food manufacturer to do the right thing has proven to be a very bad idea. Every time we rely on others to do for us what we should be doing ourselves, we lose.

PS. Based on current world growth, there is nothing we do that is sustainable!

I would never eat a vegetarian burger!

I can't stand the taste/texture/smell of meat, if I could I'd eat it.
I hate those "vegetarian" products that are made to resemble meat, never touch the stuff.

Actually, Jim, I don't think you're fast enough to kick me in the kneecap.
All that red meat has slowed you down.:P

Ha! Thats what the last guy thought Stig. He still has a limp. Of course, I had to carry him a mile through the Atlanta airport after I kicked him.

But I agree with you. I want my vegetables to resemble vegetables.

I get the fact that the methods are sometimes unpleasant, but fifty years ago we were trying to figure out how to produce enough food.

If this system is not sustainable, then everyone in LA or New York abandoning the only lifestyle they have ever known to do nothing but produce enough food for them and their family does not seem like a feasible option either.

The fact that less than one percent of the population of the US produces enough food for the entire population with enough left to export is amazing to me.

Sorry for the derail, but what is going to power this dude's extruder? Electricity? Should we be looking harder at clean coal?

I find it interesting that they don't touch on the fact that they still have to grow the veggie protein to make their product. Overall, there may be a reduction in overall ghg do to the inefficiency of animal conversion, but they aren't going to eliminate global warming solely by eliminating meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do you try and eat less meat? All meat or just beef?
All meat. My understanding is that the lower on the food chain you eat, the better for you health wise, and the environment in general. Of course if you kill your own wild meat locally and sustainably, that is an exception.

Every time we rely on others to do for us what we should be doing ourselves, we lose.

PS. Based on current world growth, there is nothing we do that is sustainable!

Good post, Dave. I was just saying it tasted mighty good, re Mickey D's

cheeseburger1.jpeg

Now that burger looks more like it .Lettuce belongs in a salad not on a piece of meat .Bacon isn't bad in a salad though .:D

Wouldn't that be mainly if you were eating predators?

I don't recollect ever having eaten a veggie burger...nor do I foresee ever doing so. I primarily eat my veggies "on the hoof".

We have chickens for eggs, which I eat almost daily, and a Jersey for fresh milk, butter and cheese. A couple of deer a year for the freezer. Can't see much need for veggies, aside from taters to accompany the occasional steak.

You might find this interesting. Perhaps he was predisposed to it.

Nutritionist: Brock Lesnar's Illness May Have Been Prevented By Proper Diet
By Ray Hui on Jan 22 2010, 1:30p +

 TWEET SHARE (10)  SHARE
Brock Lesnar's physique and conditioning landed him on the February 2008 cover of Muscle & Fitness magazine and his athletic ability has contributed to his prestigious NCAA and UFC title accomplishments. But Lesnar learned recently, even someone in incredible shape is not immune to the dangerous effects of an unbalanced diet.

Upon finding out that a low-fiber diet played a role in his potentially career-threatening condition, Lesnar told the media on Wednesday that he drastically altered his eating habits.

"What got me here was a total protein diet, not enough fiber," Lesnar said. "I totally changed my diet, got on some natural healing medicine and was just doing a lot of praying."

P.R. Cole, who founded Fuel the Fighter to provide dietary consulting for professional MMA fighters, says there is is always pre-dispositions and fluke chances, but for the most part, with a proper diet and colon health maintenance, diverticulitis and diverticulosis are preventable diseases.

"There is a proven cause for it and it's a low fiber diet," Cole. "A condition known as diverticulosis is very common from the Western diet. Very low fiber, meat and potatoes thing."

"It's one of those things, you don't always know why something is going to affect one person," said Cole, who is also the nutrition contributor for FIGHT! Magazine. "This is something you will generally see in older people because they've had years and years of this. But if you look at somebody like Brock Lesnar, who is young but has had a particularly high protein diet ... That process could've been sped up by a ridiculous amount of protein consumption."

Further, protein consumption replacing whole grains, fruits and vegetables in a low fiber diet may cause problems for the GI tract.

Lesnar, an avid hunter, admitted to a lack of vegetables on his plates.

"I'm a carnivore, you know?" Lesnar said. "I'm not a big fan of PETA. I'm a member of the NRA and whatever I kill, I eat. For years, I was surviving on meat and potatoes, and when the greens came by, I just kept passing them."

And on that note, I just read that of all the insuline produced in the world, 65% is sold in the US.

Ha! I can believe it. Few things disgust me more than being in a restaurant near an obese person you can hear breathing/wheezing from 20' away.

I read pretty much the entire article originally posted to this thread, overall interesting. Some of the info wasn't to new but I have been a fairly balanced eater as thats how it was at our house. Meat and potatoes with veggies kind of thing with a rotation of chicken, pork, beef and some fish as well as rice and noodles. Almost always we had a salad or other vegetable serving and where I grew up, you ate what you were served and liked it! Or Dad would get that stern note in his voice and you would go to bed hungry.

These days we try to do the same by having a protein, vegetable and starch of some sort for dinner at least. Weekdays I have stopped the milk and cereal routine that I was back on for a couple years, it was giving me heartburn each day so now its a banana, apple or pear while driving in. Couple of ham and cheese sandwiches, boiled egg with a pinch of sea salt, mixed nuts, a yoghurt and a granola and/or a fibre bar of some sort with about 1 to 1.5 liters of water through most work days.

I still love a burger and its now done to one burger meal with my little buddy per fortnight, we share the regular fries and a rootbeer, thats about the only soda he gets. We do a lot of water and juice at home and he still gets milk.

Anyhoo, probably TMI, back to what you were doing!

Big%20boy.jpg
biggest-cheese-burger-ever-793.jpg
big_burger.jpg

Love your sig, Paul

I know, I liked his Dual Survival show, wish he was still on

Back