Attempting DIY operation

As a bit of background info for the Americans i wiki'ed up some stuff.
Denmark wanted to join the EU at the same time as Britain (and Ireland) because of the export of goods to GB was so important to the Danish economy (bacon for the most part I assume) which they would have lost if Britain had joined the EU without them (I didn't actually know that!)
They, like Britain, are sometimes thought of as "reluctant Europeans" but had a referendum and 63% of a 90% turnout voted yes.
Like Britain they voted against having the Euro.

Well, we are all in this boat together. I guess that makes sense, the US of Europe.

We still have a lot of individuality as states. Our freedoms get less all the time, but we still do okay. We had a Democrat governor that told the Feds to piss off when it was mandated that all US citizens needed a US ID card. I can still do things the way my great grandfather did to a large extent.

I watched a program about some eastern European country, it was about the food culture it was rediscovering after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Apparently the Soviets did a good job of obliterating local customs and traditions.

So, the old recipies and traditions were making a comeback. I think that is a good thing. Well, the EU health and safety officials decide that these people need saved from themselves and that all animals must be slaughtered in a French slaughter house under strict EU guidelines, and probably owned by a high ranking EU official.

So the poor bastards are loosing their identity again.

I say down with one world idea. One people my ass, it just increases the tax base for the assholes.

It's pretty good at cutting down on wars though, in Europe apart from the Balkans there hasn't been a war worthy of the name since ww2.
Tying together the big powers economically, notably Germany and France means they/we are unlikely to go to war. So far it's worked.
Don't underestimate the peace side of things, apart from being good for not dying prematurely it's good for business.

Stig doesn't like his tax money going to keep slackers huh... Me thinks Stig might be more of a conservative than he realizes.

I suppose imagine if one by one all the South American countries starting from the bottom, ie Chile and Argentina started to become communist and asked to join the Warsaw pact, until Mexico voted to do it and Russian soldiers were doing exercises in Guadalahara.
That's probably how the Russians see it.

I just wondered if it had made things more stable with Russia or not. I know from listening to Magnus that no one is weary of Russia, especially not her neighbors, but the EU must be sorta provocative to the Russians.

Is that what your south american analogy was about?

I guess, the EU wasn't much of an issue till it started to expand east (along with NATO)
They had their little gang, Poland, East Germany, Romania etc then they all upped and said "we've always hated you, we want to join the fun gang over the wall"
No wonder they're a bit sensitive and paranoid.

Not that I'm generalizing at all!
Edit
I see now you meant wary rather than weary, I suspect their immediate neighbors are keeping their eyes open at the very least, especially the Baltic states.

As a hardworking Scandinavian, I have about as much in common with a lazy Greek as I would with a sea slug.
Yet, because we are all memebers of the glorious EU, guess who gets to pay the bill when said Greeks run their country into the ground, bacause the like long vacations, early retirement and not paying taxes?

Well, I do. That is who.
That sounds just like one of my rants Stig. Wow, THAT'S SCARY!!!!!:O

You and Bob insist on seeing me as a raving leftist, because to both of you, anybody with a political standpoint that is not 3 steps to the right of Benito Mussolini ( Before the upside down in a lamp post episode) is one.

Amongst my own people I'm seen a very conservative:

I own my company and happily oppress the workers, I am very much in favour of the death penalty and against letting any more muslims into Europe ( Actually I think it would be a good idea to do a remake of the traditional " load them all up in box cars and ship them off" thing that our souther neighbours experimented with in WW2. But in this case not to extermination camps, but home!)

Mick, the Russians feel that they were given a pretty firm guarantee when the wall fell, that NATO would not try to infringe on the former east block countries.
That is just what NATO has done.

They ( We?) have effectively squeezed the ring around Russia tighter. Then EU is letting more and more of those countries become members.

That is what led to the Russian involvement in Serbia and now in Ukraine.

Times change, if independent sovereign countries want to become members of the EU, and it suits all parties, how can you say "no, we had a Gentlemen's agreement with Russia 2 decades ago. You can't become part of our club.......ever"

I didn't say it was right, only that the Russians see NATO and EU as the agressors.

How'd things go with the operation, CobleS?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. It is doing good. I did not get any solid pieces out, it must have been little bits of debris. Epsom salts is supposed to work well for drawing splinters out. I kept after it with that.

I am glad my nail did not have to get cut back. It takes a long time for that to go away.

Back