Grateful

Jubal

TreeHouser
Howdy all,
I am posting to express my gratitude for this forum and those who share their information. I am a newby and lurker as after reading the threads for just an hour I realized how little I know. I am not a professional and have heated with wood for over 35 years. I felt confident since I have done no harm. I have read as much as I could and tried to gain experience. I do not frequently fell trees. I leave the problems to the local arborists and advice others to do the same. I do clean up after the trees are chunked down in trade for the wood. I was motivated to learn more after the embarrassment of causing a leaner while felling a maple with a large trunk that had two leaders which was witnessed by far to many on a volunteer workday.
The pictures and videos of case studies and the after action reports are invaluable. I especially benefit from pictures of the stumps to visualize the strategy and technique. The discussion of physical characteristics such as wood fiber, species etc.is enlightening. Please be mindful and consider that many who use this forum do not have your level of experience and knowledge. I suppose the only way I can contribute is by asking questions to stimulate discussion.
It will take me quite some time to read all of the threads and follow all of the links. I have learned from reading threads on several forums and have concluded that this forum is the BEST.
Oh, I really appreciate the good natured humor.
Bob

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Bob! Make yourself at home and ask all the questions you want... we don't bite!

Welcome, Bob.

Ask away. Post some pics. We just like seeing different parts of the country, even if no climbing/ felling/ cutting are involved.

Part bad&^s tree forum, part pull up a bar stool and tell us a joke.

Cheers!:beerchug::beerchug:

Like you mentioned, this is a great place.

If I wasn't so modest, I'd have said that!

30a5h5v.jpg

:lol:

Bob, don't overlook the Archives threads...down at the bottom right of most of the forum pages. There are some wonderfully enlightening older threads there. You can scan them in short form without attachments, or open them to their full original content. And ask away...we all are happy to help anyone who brings the wish to advance their knowledge base.

And any site that can call on people like Jerry Beranek, Stig, or dozens of other superbly experienced fallers/sawyers for input...well, that's a blessed resource we all can appreciate.

Welcome.

Naw, he's so ego-loaded already, nuthin' I can say would swell his head a smidgen.

:D

Not! A better man I do not know.

Welcome. Lots of good old material to thumb through here. Still though, ask questions. We don't shame novices that have a genuine question and a genuine interest. Whatever you may want to know may have been discussed already long ago, but that doesn't much matter. The pros here(not me) can help fine tune an answer to your particular angle you are coming from. Plus you get the chance to meet the regulars and even get the pros to engage their own brains again to answer your questions. Sometimes it seems helpful for a pro to dog through the archives of their mind and remember some old tricks they may have forgotten about.

The video for that old thread has been moved or something...here is the latest link to it...guess you watch it here and then read the other thread? Unless Butch can edit the old thread...post #1 just shows a black box for me. Here is the video that is supposed to be in that thread:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4dXVbK2Qljw?list=UUcMO1J7CZBN1WrjqG6e3ymQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indeed. Thanks, Butch.

There are some great threads in those archives. Some of the best came from comments, questions, etc. following my posting pics of Doug Dent's falling workshops I attended over the years. Usually worth a re-read, certainly worth a fresh look for our newer members. The man is surely a legend, never expect to see his like again.

Back