Springboard cleats

old Irish done done it all, me thinks.;)

:lol:

By the by...hereabouts we always called the working end of a springboard, the metal part, a "shoe". "Cleat" makes sense to me too, though I'd not heard it used, I knew exactly what Sean meant in the thread title. I expect that's one of the many regional differences in logging terms, and wonder if there are others that refer to the same item?

Prior to an upcoming chopping competitipn I used to practice setting spring boards into my poplar trees at work when the skidders were down .
If I didn't have my shoed springboards at the job site I'd rip a couple up with the saw.

I was thinking about this at work yesterday and realized that I had used the wrong dimensions for the staging boards. They weren't a full 2" thick. That would have been too heavy, thinking that they were rough sawn full 1". Jerry might remember better than me.

They should tapered from a 1 1/2" shoe end down to about a 3/4" tail Pat. I believe 6-8" was standard width and 5-6 ft long.
This is the only pic I have of mine but some detail.
The guy next to me chopping looks like his are full 2" thick.

Attachments

• 20141211_102543.jpg
    20141211_102543.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 66
I think for staging runs between springboards, full dimension 1" would be plenty, and 4/5" would be better, really. Never had the chance to use staging planks myself though I have watched them deployed several times, and like I said, I have some, but not a lot of day in and out experience on springboards.

There is a reason that they are called springboards, BTW :D...they are gonna be bouncy...make them stout enough to not be so, you couldn't haul them a 100 feet. Staging planks will be the same, imo.

I can't believe all the stuff we used to pack around on that steep ground all those years. Maybe that is why I am still at it though. +luck.

1 shot of a shoe in this video. Other great footage as well

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qb_YNZn_kaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found 1 good board so far!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419227468297.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419227468297.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 39
On the way down, just before impacting, they might have.

Back