The time has come..

B Diggedy

It is what it is..
So this past weekend I packed up and moved to the northern part of Phoenix AZ. You'd think there wouldn't be any trees in the desert. I was surprised to discover just the opposite, they're everywhere(just like the cacti). I'm finally in a position to be able to seek out an opportunity with a tree company, and now that's my mission. Anybody on this forum in the area? And who'd be interested in taking on a new guy that's worth a damn?

I'll second the knot thing! I can't tell you how many guys ask me " teach me how to climb" "teach me rigging" I say here is a dozen knots to learn how to tie. They say "cool" a week goes by and they can only tie their shoes I say " see that pile of brush get that to the chipper and here is your rake and when you are done with that clean up that pile of stumper chips ".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate all the good vibes gents. So far I've hit up a few places, made sure to note what sets me apart(knots, investing in my own gear/reading material, genuine interest, etc). We'll see what happens, its pretty much only a matter of time. Still gotta start messing with them bends mentioned in the knots thread tho, been busy with logistics n such. Luckily the house I moved into has a big climbable tree in the backyard, so no more nosey interrogators to deal with. Yea I've heard about them Palm trees being tree slayer slayers. Dudes getting smothered by fronds..

Srt over the top of the palms. Try Jesse huffeman , I think, on YouTube.

Jamie / porkbrick at the House, may made have the video I'm thinking of. I believe porkbrick may have a different YouTube handle.

Right on ill check that out, good to know on the srt thing. I had seen a youtube video where a guy who was working on one(flipline and spikes only) had some fronds fall and pile up on him between him and the tree on his flip line. He was perfectly stuck and it didnt seem too friendly to his back either(had him flexed back where he couldnt move). the fire dept had to rescue him. If he had back up with srt, im sure he could have had a chance to self rescue, provided he could undo/cut his flipline. Matter of fact when the time comes, perhaps ill keep a second flipline just for palms for such a scenario(non-steel cored)...

Actually, after looking at it again maybe it wouldnt have helped. options are always good tho..
found the vid
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Br7-eN8NF-E?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't ever climb palms. It's certain kinds that slough fronds, and it becomes critical after so many years. You will need to learn to identify each species, and their characteristics, same as trees.

I think you shouldn't be surprised if most tree companies won't know what your talking about with an SRT base tie system for palms.
Dunno.

I don't know if it's a matter of getting on to and working down, or what. Put up a video link if possible, please.

Jesse Huffman lives in Phoenix, AZ I think and he owns a tree company. Msg me your contact info and I'll pass it along and pass his along as well.

Appreciate all the good vibes gents. So far I've hit up a few places, made sure to note what sets me apart(knots, investing in my own gear/reading material, genuine interest, etc). We'll see what happens, its pretty much only a matter of time.

Unless you don't want it to take a lot of time.... Then pick the top company you would like to work for/with. Go to them with a clear plan of what they will get out of having you as an employee (what you will get and $ is already clear to you and be prepared to have that understood by them as well) offer to work for free for a week at the end of it if they can benifit from having you they hire you, if not, you go your way and fair enough.

Go for it
I wish I found tree climbing when I was younger.
You sound like your hungry and wanting to learn.
Skys the limit,!!!!

I think you shouldn't be surprised if most tree companies won't know what your talking about with an SRT base tie system for palms.
Dunno.

I don't know if it's a matter of getting on to and working down, or what. Put up a video link if possible, please.

I have no problem being that guy if it seems like a better way, so far it does.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p0HfScEV5As?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This guys from Phoenix and according to the videos last comment his names Jesse, I think i found him rangerdanger

Unless you don't want it to take a lot of time.... Then pick the top company you would like to work for/with. Go to them with a clear plan of what they will get out of having you as an employee (what you will get and $ is already clear to you and be prepared to have that understood by them as well) offer to work for free for a week at the end of it if they can benifit from having you they hire you, if not, you go your way and fair enough.

Excellent advice

I have no problem being that guy if it seems like a better way, so far it does.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p0HfScEV5As?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This guys from Phoenix and according to the videos last comment his names Jesse, I think i found him rangerdanger

Someone posted a how-to video iirc.

Back