Crane removal - Promo video

matdand

TreeHouser
We did this job a couple of weeks ago. We took down 9 white pines total, 7 with a 175t, one was climbed and the other flopped. This was by far the biggest machine I've worked with and one of the larger projects I've coordinated in the three years my business has been running.

Space and access was super limited for the crane, it took them about 7 hours to setup on the first day, job was three days total. They even needed a boom truck to setup the jib cause there wasn't any room to swing it out. Furthest tree was 190' away and the tallest was around 120' according to the crane op (which is a really tall tree for this area). Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VHl78-n4guA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As a promotional video for your company that is an excellent vid.

Who flew the drone? I had aspirations in 2012 about using drones in tree work.... the problem was no suitable camera person to run it without taking me off the job.

Working with big cranes is fun, 175t is my biggest as well. 100-120 is the most common (although purposefully rare).

Yes, nice vid. Excellent vid in fact!

However, a forest of healthy trees pays dearly for yet another millionaires vacation home. The pool is a bloom of alge. They probably only stay there one month out of the year. Hardly eco-friendly types in my opinion. But it pays, I guess.

Most rich people put on a persona like they really care about the environment, and they proudly display environmental stickers on the bumpers of their Mercedes, but then are perfectly content to cut down the forest for a mega home and cheap vista view.... Oh, seeing that kind of crap just gets on my nerves.

By the way, you did an excellent job. Pro all the way. Too bad about the client though. ugh..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks gents!!! Carl, I hired a guy to do the filming, he had a drone and a pro camera on the ground. He charged me 700$ for the filming, editing and licensing of the music, I tought it was an OK deal. The big crane was fun cause everything went as expected. I wouldn't want to pick up the bill when ish hits the fan at that hourly rate!!!

Gerry, I never met the owners, you are correct about them being here very rarely, they live in France and spend a few weeks a year here. Last year we had the tail end of a major ice storm (the one that hit T.O hard). Their neighbor had a similar size pine snap onto the house, hence the reaction to remove the closest ones. They were magnificent trees...

Yeah, I spent $2-3k on my drone alone. Well worth the money, although being able to do it whenever I wanted would be worth a good bit too.

Yeah, Mat, the same thing plays out here all the time. Beautiful weather, great mountains and coastal views. What a wonderful place to build a mansion to stay in for a few weeks out of the year. It's the new economy here. I take it with a grain of salt. Thank you for not immediately getting on the defensive with me. It says a lot about you.

Very nice vid. Tree guys know what is going on there, the uniqueness of that sized crane brought in for the job, and the scale and smoothness of the work. Most if not all will likely be lost on the average person, unfortunately. It seems like that perhaps supplementing the vid with some written explanation will get more understanding of the capabilities shown there. Could you put some wording right in the vid at the beginning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gerry, I totaly get it, what I like about my area is that it is still a well kept secret, or at least we like to think so. Not much crazy developpement yet, I'm guessing geopolitics and the language barrier has helped with that. I talk myself out of work all the time, I even tell people that trees have been living millions of years without our intervention, why would they need to be pruned now. I hate feeling like a used car salesman!

I must say not all the picks came off as smooth as in the video. Some of the trees were so close that they only had branches on one side. Plus, we were limited to smaller pieces so it made going out far to set balancers a little difficult. But all in all the op was real happy with what went on for that kind of a radius.

I didn't want any text at all during the video, but the editor insisted on a little. I feel it would break the flow.

Text done right can really help the flow in a vid. It's a delicate balance though between too much and too little.

And nice vid angles from the from the drone. That's nice.

Back