Pinched nerve in shoulder

Cobleskill

Treehouser
My left shoulder has been bothering me for 4 or 5 weeks. I have tingling down my arm and in my hand. Not incapacitating pain but uncomfortable and hard to sleep. Using a chain saw is not the best for it.

Anyone have experience with this? First time for me. Things usually heal up on there own it seems, but not always.

A friend just had shoulder surgery but don't know if her symptoms were the same...for her the docs effected a release to an entrapped nerve that was restricted (partially encapsulated?) by a ligament (or maybe a tendon...something was putting pressure on a nerve in the shoulder).

She got immediate relief from the surgery but is still dealing with the residual sequelae of symptoms that accompanied the initial problem. I guess my main point is don't wait too long to get it diagnosed...I know that chronic inflammation can cause the body to set up defense systems that bring on their own set of problems.

Maybe see a good massage therapist to get their take and see if knowledgeable massage therapy can help.

Read some from Cyriax. The shoulder is supposed to be one of the best joints to respond rehab....proper rehab.

http://www.gp-training.net/rheum/exam/shoulder/shoulder.htm

I have neuroapathy and can relate to nerve pain in combination with numbing. Butch calls it, "electric worms." Our conditions happened from trauma and is non treatable for the most part. Drugs can ease the symptoms, but the side effects from the drugs can sometimes be worse than the symptoms. Your nerve pain sounds like it is aggravated from working like an animal all your career, and is probably and easily treatable at this stage. Nerve pain sucks no matter how it comes about. Nip it in the bud: get a prompt medical opinion. sooner the better.

Totally agree. Get a good diagnosis...then you know how to proceed. Read some before going so you have a better understanding of what they tell you.

I can relate to the tingling miserable feeling at bed time. My left arm has gone numb every night when I lay on my back since I was 19. Usually only for a few minutes thankfully. Earlier on it kept me awake. A miserable feeling. I can remember doing one arm pull ups at night in some sort of desperate attempt to make the tingling stop.

Go get an MRI of your neck. Sounds like a bulging or herniated disc to me. I had the same issues for months and finally went to see some one. Turned out I had three fractured vertebrae and a herniated disc at C-4/5. Now I have a fused neck at C-4/5/6. Don't wait too long. I hope I'm wrong.

I never did anything about it aside from a few piss drunk pull ups on a door frame at age 19. Ill look into it. My wife points out that I can't fall asleep on my left side facing her because I gripe about the arm remaining numb. Better ask the doc about it. The truth though is that its not long lasting each night and doesn't rattle my cage like it used to.

First, you are getting old and it takes longer to heal!
Ice is good! 15-20min on, 30 off and repeat, when it's numb it's time to stop the ice and warm it back up.
Stretching is good!
A massage is great!
Rest is best!
As others said, see a Dr as well!

My left shoulder has been bothering me for 4 or 5 weeks. I have tingling down my arm and in my hand. Not incapacitating pain but uncomfortable and hard to sleep. Using a chain saw is not the best for it.

Anyone have experience with this? First time for me. Things usually heal up on there own it seems, but not always.

I had this issue summer before last, for me it ended in the muscle clamping down hard, incapacitating pain, I ended up in the er getting shot up with morphine. I had a MRI, I think it was, looking for bulging or herniated discs like Husabud had. But it turned out mine was strictly muscular. Deep massage healed me, I mean so deep the masseuse bruised me black and blue in the neck/back/shoulder area that the clamped down muscle was in in order to get it to release.

I had exactly the same thing about 6 months ago. I kept meaning to get physio but in the end it just healed itself, I had the tingling numb arm periodically for about 3 months.

But it turned out mine was strictly muscular. Deep massage healed me, I mean so deep the masseuse bruised me black and blue in the neck/back/shoulder area that the clamped down muscle was in in order to get it to release.

Cross-friction, deep-tissue massage advocated by Cyriax is what you are describing...used to break down scar tissue from improperly healed micro-tears of an area. The scar tissue causes impingement/entrapment of other structures (e.g., nerves).

Cobleskill med diagnosis is always a good idea I would agree. Then, especially if you're correct it's a pinched nerve, would you like to deal with it yourself as opposed to getting started on the medical route or living with the symptoms?

I went to the dr yesterday for my zinging right arm. She told me it was a pinched nerve between inflamed muscle layers. It's been zinging for probably a month. She suggested isolating what zings it and changing that behavior. Ha. It doesn't give me issues when I'm working or running.....its when I'm resting or sitting around. It's like I'm all zinged up when I'm flexed or swoll from a hard climb or 60 miles of dirt bike.

Years ago I'd been dragging brush, I went to bed and woke up with terrible chest pain. Just agonizing! I woke my wife up to take me to the hospital and went to open the fridge to get a Coke out, I fell to my knees in agony!
I spent the night getting tested, had to do the stress test on a treadmill, did the "nuclear medicine" testing, the whole kit and caboodle! They found nothing.
I went to see my Dr for a follow up and he asked me what I'd done, what happened and I told him. He broke out in laughter! "Did they give you any muscle relaxers or anything for the pain?" "Nope!" "Well, you pulled your breast muscle!" He'd done the same just a few weeks before and knew exactly what I was talking about!
Sometimes it's minor things that hurt the most! I still say get it checked out!

Back