Heli tree removal final vid

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U-HJtmhe7ZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome stuff.
I was surprised however how small some of the chunks looked. What was the weight factor you were dealing with?

The wood was weighing in around 900 kgs for those cuts . I think the smallest was 750. It had been raining heavily the days before so we think that's the reason for it being so heavy . The weight the pilot wanted was 900 and we had a couple over 1 tonne. In the second cut you can see how the pilot couldn't lift it away fast because of the weight, I think it was 1200kgs.

Haha thats the mrs Ben , she wanted to come check out the action.

That sounds right. 1500 to 2200 pounds, depending on fuel load and altitude density. Of course the load calc chart will talk about HIGE or HOGE, ground effect hovering or not. Jettison-able cargo will factor in to it as well.

Cool stuff!

That was fun to watch.
I'll have to show this one to the boys, we just bid on a removal of a sequoia in extremely tight quarters. We can get a crane in, but a chopper would be more fun:D

BTW, I never thought I'd be writing this, but wouldn't a longer bar have worked better for cutting in the tree?

I was waiting for that , yeah mate it would have made it a lot easier as you know how thick that bark gets. I had asked one of the guys to take the mill off the 88 and put on another bar. He did it but he put on the same bar with a different chain and no dogs. The chain was sharp but rooted so when they started it up for me the bar was heating up to smoking point so I just carried on with the new 661. There's not a lot of time to mess about with so silly mistakes like that end up being a bit of a pain .

Nice vid and Job!

There's not a lot of time to mess about

That is no joke, that bird hovering slow circles around you will raise your heart beat.

Trick with those endless slings to help keep them tight before loaded. Use black electrical tape to make a couple wraps to form a tight eye were the sling passes back through its self.
If it needs to give under load the tape breaks easily.
And it helps keep you hands out of pinch points while trying to keep the sling tight and in place before the lift.

Yes electrical tape and my favorite splicing tape is one of the handiest things to carry in the tool box.

Excellent video climbernz...... is nz for New Zealand? Thought I could pick a bit up in your vocabulary.:)

Yes electrical tape and my favorite slicing tape is one of the handiest things to carry in the tool box.

Excellent video climbernz...... is nz for New Zealand? Thought I could pick a bit up in your vocabulary.:)
you got it mate :) from the sunny bay of plenty

The wood was weighing in around 900 kgs for those cuts . I think the smallest was 750. It had been raining heavily the days before so we think that's the reason for it being so heavy . The weight the pilot wanted was 900 and we had a couple over 1 tonne. In the second cut you can see how the pilot couldn't lift it away fast because of the weight, I think it was 1200kgs.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought they could have taken bigger.... But.. if the pilot says 900.. nough said. Red wood can weigh high for the picks pending on water take. I have had some serious weights hit my line even dry. Good job.. The ones with the limbs attached are the tricky ones,
:)

Seems like the more branches, the more the rotor would push the load down, "increasing" the load.

Seems like the more branches, the more the rotor would push the load down, "increasing" the load.
interesting theory , it could be true the rope between the heli and the strop was quite long and those branches were extremely heavy.
the second pick was 1200 kgs and thats why it didn't take off like the rest of them.
900 kgs was the safe weight for the picks.

Back