Tie regrooving

flushcut

TreeHouser
Anybody here do it in house or send it out? Is there any tips or tricks you can share?
I am thinking about buying an iron and doing it myself to save a couple of bucks but I am not sure if it's worth it.

Tie regrooving meaning rail road tie or tire minus the r ?If it's tire I'm not so certain they can all be regrooved .

Truck tires for example used to be stamped if they could be regrooved but that was decades ago . Google may know .

It's sort of illegal here but I used to do it for a trucking company I worked for, it's pretty easy, just don't go too deep.

Up until a few years ago I had a guy that used to do mine but I don't do the miles now to worry much about it. Wish I had bought the iron from that company when it closed down, could have got it for about $40 or $50. Just had a look on ebay and they are $450, guess that's why I never bought a new one. There's a guy on there doing it for $50 a tyre.

Ha, now we've got Tie, Tire and Tyre.

45-50 years ago we used to groove the racing slicks tires/tyres used on sprint cars running on dirt tracks.Go karts etc .

The tool was just like a big soldering iron with a u shaped tool that could be adjusted for the depth of the groove .Smelly job,phew .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tie regrooving meaning rail road tie or tire minus the r ?If it's tire I'm not so certain they can all be regrooved .

Truck tires for example used to be stamped if they could be regrooved but that was decades ago . Google may know .

The tires on my chip truck are regroovable but I have never had it done. I get bout two years use on the steer tires and just shy of four years on the drive set. I am just wondering if it's worth it?

I put recaps on my drives. They wear like iron and a chip truck doesn't rip recaps off like road tractors and triaxles do. That's a bullshit rumor. It hasn't happened but if they are good recaps its not common. Steers, I just buy new obviously, never had any re grooved.

I am only getting 25-30k miles per steer set on the original tread. I know "just go buy a set ya cheap bastid".

I was going to make an Indian joke but wanted you to lead the way. But seriously, I'm not against re grooving. I just haven't taken that route.

I am only getting 25-30k miles per steer set on the original tread. I know "just go buy a set ya cheap bastid".

Are you guys suggesting recapping the steering tires? Its illegal here. You can move the to the drive wheels.

Chris, do you think that its the single axle nature of most chip trucks that makes it more suitable for re-caps?

You have a lower average speed for a chip truck, but more tight steering and possible spinning.

Chaining up would be another factor, too.

That seems like no mileage to be going through a set of steerers. What kind of truck? I'd be looking for front end/alignment problems

I have had bad luck with caps. I try to stay away from them.

Do you get the same mileage with different brands? It sounds like you should be getting better mileage out of a set of steer tires. But then again I drive some gravel too.

Do you regroove and put them back on the front? I have had a steer tire blow at speed, not fun and tears up the hood of your truck.

I don't do caps, I've considered it but I had one come apart once and tear up a utility bed. Not worth it to me. We went through steer tires like that when I lived 30 miles down the Klamath river, twisty roads eat tread. At least when you drove fast...

Sean, caps are fine on single axle chip trucks because they aren't bearing the weight and side loading from sharp turns that they do on a triaxle. I wouldn't run caps on a heavy duty truck. But GMC 6500's, all day. I've seen caps come apart, and I've seen non caps shred on the wheel. I chalk that crap up to owning a truck. Chips are very light on a truck compared to grain and dirt. Chip bodies themselves are very light on a truck compared to a grain body or rock body.

I was going to make an Indian joke but wanted you to lead the way. But seriously, I'm not against re grooving. I just haven't taken that route.
You have my blessing! go for it.
Are you guys suggesting recapping the steering tires? Its illegal here. You can move the to the drive wheels.

Chris, do you think that its the single axle nature of most chip trucks that makes it more suitable for re-caps?

You have a lower average speed for a chip truck, but more tight steering and possible spinning.

Chaining up would be another factor, too.
No recaps just cutting with a grooving iron, and retreads on steer tires is illegal here as well, I think it is nationally.
That seems like no mileage to be going through a set of steerers. What kind of truck? I'd be looking for front end/alignment problems

It's on my f450 just had an alignment and ball joints done mid summer so hopefully I can get a few more miles out of the front.

Cutting deeper into the tire seems questionable, especially if there is ever a lawsuit from an accident. Is this a jerry-rig type of thing to do, or is it done professionally in tire shops.

Heavy truck tyres are manufactured with extra rubber so that they can be regrooved. It's sort of dying out as wear compounds become more clever, but it's still proper practice.

Back