Guying a Mature Tree?

• Thread starter Ruel
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 5K
R

Ruel

My boss told me today that we will be re-guying a leaning 80' White Pine next week. The tree was previously guyed to another tree a few decades ago, but a recent storm broke the old wire. The homeowner is very against removal, so ridiculous cabling job it is!

We are planing on doing moderate weight reduction and using two utility pole guy anchors like these (https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...e/Wilcor/WAGHA-34-66/product.aspx?zpid=431137) with 3/8" EHS cable to support the tree.

Does anyone here have experience guying large trees? What would you recommend for anchors or hardware?

Thanks

I think something more flexible like the duck bill cable anchor will give better cycles to failure.

my limited experience with duckbill cables is having seen the cables rot (corroded to point of failure) in only around 3 years in heavy clay soil. No more mr. Duckbills for me.
OP: I'm pretty sure Bartlett Tree Expert Co. has done a bunch of research on guying trees, and you might want to give them a look see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure why the tree is leaning, I just got a brief description from the salesman about the job. I will get some photos on Monday, should be interesting.

What if you replaced the duckbill cable with amsteel or tenex spliced on with thimbles and maybe a UV sleeve of cordura or tubular webbing.

My duckbills gone bad happened more than 10 years ago, and they may have a much longer service life under different soil conditions. Stainless steel cable might be another consideration.

You could look into anchoring your guys with what they use for mobile homes in tornado and wind sheer areas or if you have room... Concrete the anchors like they would for a zip line by our new CA standards.

Are there still fasteners in the tree? If not, rigguy wirestops, or wedgegrips, involve much less wounding.

I've guyed mature oaks etc. using 3/8" EHS and both soil anchors and concrete; depends on the load...I haven't seen anything published by Bartlett on this.

80'? Really?

Back