Hybrid climbing line...can't choose!

McGuarantee

TreeHouser
I'm up for a new rope at work, and can't decide what rope to get. I am starting to climb a lot more SRT...maybe 50/50 or even a little more SRT than DdRT. I need to decide on just one rope to satisfy my needs.

So, what opinions to you guys have on a good all around, hybrid rope?

I've used kernmaster for SRT, and love it. Know it can be used for DdRT but not optimal.

I'm really interested in the new sterling tendril...but can't find many reviews on it. I like the smaller diameter of kernmaster and tendril being 11.1 sounds great...

Most of my climbing has been spent on tachyon though. Lots of spiderjacking on the tachyon over the past few years. Nothing negative to say about my experiences, it's been quite good. Just thinking of maybe a change of pace...Something tough and hard wearing would be a plus. I try to use a friction saver whenever I can but do end up natural crouching as well.

So...tachyon, poison ivy, kernmaster, tendril, velocity, blaze, cougar blue....

Whadddya think? Thanks

Blaze/bandit is a pretty good option I think. If you check the numbers it's low stretch, it's easy to splice, my ascender haven't shredded it yet, and oh yea it's super cheap. Im quite happy w it

Imori is a really nice rope. Not necessarily the best at anything, but does everything well. Has a good feel, And it's tougher than tachyon I have found. I do like tachyon as well, though.

Can't (and wouldn't) argue with Justin. I like Imori DdRT, it's definitely got good hand with an almost sticky texture but it feels a little stretchy in SRT. May just be me

Velocity or tachyon for me. Both hold there shape well & work will with both mechanical devices & hitches.

Larger diameter ropes are much easier on my hands long term, especially in cold weather

I like poison ivy/blue moon very low stretch, wears well, mechanical device friendly, splicing is a bit of a pain but once you do a few you get the hang of it, and knots well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Leaning towards poison ivy now...I hear so many good things about it. The sterling is still alluring though.

Agree with Rajan here. PI, Blue Moon...
I ordered the Aztec version from Tree Stuff the last time. I can see orange better. I have a problem seeing blue. Seems every blue line I buy a screw it up.
I have been climbing on the Vortex too. Nice hand. Might not be everyone's cup of tea for SRT though. Great Ddrt rope. I don't mind using my gear for SRT on it as I have the older Pantin that works well with 1/2 rope. Some might find it too soft for their tastes though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
going with poison ivy...aztec green on treestuff to be exact. sterling tendril is too big of a question mark. too new and not too many reviews yet. i'll be stuck with it for a year to 2 years...as long as i can take care of it. so i want something that i know will be a great rope. thanks for all the help guys.

Back