Worth fixing

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
It runs / drives. Mostly cosmetic.. is it worth fixing ?
a746aecc09f63e5145a702837fa2d64a.jpg
f49499cc9e56c42cefc788343f53d680.jpg
6d56b18e86f4d1e98e07f32d80ee1499.jpg

Depends on where you are in life regarding time, work load, money, and appearance. There's no way I'd invest any effort in that truck, but I'm a bit spoiled courtesy of some good luck and hard work.

I got rid of my old '86 Int'l with a 1972 L-45 Asplundh lift 8 years ago.
The fellow I sold it to is still using (and abusing) it, which is a testament both to his level of risk tolerance, and how durable that lift is.
By the look of those photos, that truck would likely sell for peanuts at an auction. I'd be leery of it becoming an unreliable, cantankerous and financial barbarian.

It looks rode hard and put up wet. Plus, it's too short unless all you work on are small trees.

I'd pass, unless it was a steal. Short buckets have their use...

If it was given to me, I would try to sell it for $4-6k. If it didn't get any nibbles it would head to the scrap yard.

If your trees lend themselves to one, buy a WRAPTOR. <$2500 new to your door, brand new. 20 pounds. Fits behind your seat. Make money. Buy a truck that isn't someone's headache.
You may be able to buy that truck outright, and then keep putting a lot of money into a truck not worth anything.

There is little redeeming about that specimen. I would pay scrap price for it and risk on a flip... Worse case I can get my money back. No way I would pull into someone's yard with that.

While I would pass I can see a lot of potential in a 5 gallon overhaul. New paint would change the impression A LOT.

If you have a mechanical bent and a place to work this winter, AND get if for a LOW price, why not? I buy old shit all the time, but I am a hell of a mechanic and cheep to boot!

1. Very Expensive replacement parts on boom.
2. Leaking hoses, boom getting stuck, boom failure.
3. Getting catapulted from a run down bucket truck.

NETree ( Erik) was almost cut in half when his boom failed. He will never be the same. He is permanently handicapped. End of story.
Permanently in pain..
NOT WORTH IT.
Buy a Wraptor and make money enough with it to get a better truck

NETree ( Erik) was almost cut in half when his boom failed. He will never be the same. He is permanently handicapped. End of story.
Permanently in pain..
NOT WORTH IT.
Buy a Wraptor and make money enough with it to get a better truck

wow sorry to hear that now I feel like a ass for my post

I did not know that NETREE had a horrible accident. I am sorry to hear that.

I guess I would wonder if a person could absolutely guarantee that a newer truck with good paint would not have expensive maintenance problems or had been used out of limits and is now unsafe?

You can crash an airplane, put it in the shop for the winter, and fly it in the spring. The crash and repair is going on the permanent record, but the plane can be made airworthy again.

I am not trying to be a dick, and I agree that first impressions of a machine are often right, but I would need to see the machine in person before I sent it too the scrap yard.

Back