Knots...

B Diggedy

It is what it is..
Wudup guys, i feel like making a post so here we go..

I can tie the following like its nothing

Figure Eight
Bowline
Running Bowline
Alpine Butterfly
Barrel Knot
Fishermans
Prusik
Klemheist
Blake's Hitch
Clove Hitch
Anchor Hitch
Valdotain Tresse

Are there any others an excellent groundman should know? Or am I pretty much set on knots(mostly)?

You need a really good bend for joining ropes. Hunter's Bend or the Zeppelin bend (closely related but formed differently) or the classic Carrick bend will do nicely. You have stuff in your list that can do the function but linked bowlines are sloppy and the Barrel/Fisherman's knots are difficult to untie after heavy loading.

my groundman can barely UNTIE a bowline
it is pretty funny waching him tie something on the end of my climbline I
need(bigger saw, rigging gear, drink)NOT....

You need a really good bend for joining ropes...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My favorite is the butterfly bend. Easy to tie and untie, has a distinct shape and is safe enough that I use it in life support, though I usually tie an overhand knot in the tails.

Bowline on a bight and Zeppelin bend. Valdotain, not the VT. Seems to be used on MA systems for some reason, like a 5:1. One location is an english prussic, the other a french prussic.

Being able to tie a trucker's hitch is worthwhile. A slipknot, too.

People need to be shown how to untie a bowline: it's all in the training.

I don't see the Dragon Bowline on that list. :drink:

Zeppelin bend can also tighten under load and be difficult to untie. Most times I'll use a simple Sheet Bend.

I don't really have a groundie guy on my crew. The three of us take turns on the ropes, rigging, bucking, limbing, etc. I'm about 20 years older than the other guys, but we all do well in the trees. I most enjoy setting up the rigging. My son is very good in the saddle. Tyler is extremely good at identifying tree diseases and can spot things that most guys would never see. It's a team.....in the true sense of the word. All of us are skilled with knot tying. It's something we've practiced together for a very long time.

Now my grandson is getting involved. At age 10 he knows how to tie our most commonly used knots.....clove hitch, half-hitch, bowline, 3-turn prusik, running bowline, slipknot, and sheet bend. He can also set up the hitch climber properly using the schwabisch hitch. He's done a bit of climbing too, but only for fun.......yet it still counts toward experience.

Joel

A hangmans noose is a good knot to use in place of a monkey's fist, when you need a bit of weight on your terminal end.

Just cinch it up. :drink:

Being able to tie a trucker's hitch is worthwhile.

Very handy to know. Seems there's lot's of different types, this is the one I use. Pre ratchet straps we used to use it doubled or tripled on slippery loads. Comes in handy for pulling over trees, saves using a winch if doubled up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EZ20hb5LQPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use a bigger loop and half hitch to lock it if pulling real hard. Comes undone easy that way unlike some of the others.

Seriously, given how many of us are proficient with rope and knots, I wonder how many treemen are good at Shibari? I've become very good at it...

shibari-ronnie-belcher.jpg

5881c67f514529e246986447255a04bd.jpg

e1f23f5529c963d0778070c693dd907a.jpg

Back