Trio Break?

Very nice video Magnus. When I first read "Trio Break?" I thought someone "broke" their Trio brake?

The trio brake is a very efficient system for setting the saw's "parking brake" as I have trained novices to do when they make more then 2 steps with the saw running.
BTW from watching the video of the cutter felling the tree.....his depth gauges were way too low causing the jerky aggressive cutting action......not smooth or safe!

Good concept, but a very uncomfortable saw to use. That trio brake handle rubbed my wrist too much.

Looks like a rookie tool, IMO. Throttle interlock! That's the safety for moving around. Take your hand of the trigger and TI.

I think having a bar and chain on a saw will be outlawed in Sweden in a few years the way they are going.

Looks like a rookie tool, IMO. Throttle interlock! That's the safety for moving around. Take your hand of the trigger and TI.
People have tripped and fallen on a saw that was idling with the throttle interlock disabled because they had their right hand still gripping the rear handle and throttle. I've seen it first hand from other loggers back in the day, but do admit they were all rookies.
I did once had a fork in a branch disable the interlock and squeeze the throttle at the same time . WOT and scared the crap out of me.

I fell across a saw once, and had that happen.
Went down on a saw that was running full out.
My safety pants saved my leg.

I was unlucky, does that mean the rest of the world should change the way their saws are made?
Sweden has a way of going completely overboard on things like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a good thing to use and work with as it teaches you to change your moves and work more efficiently with less energy.
Not so much needed in bigger wood or on bigger saws (55cc +).
In smaller stuff as second and third thinning in spruce it is a real big help to learn how to work more effective and with less energy. Safety aspect is not more than it has been on the other versions and function is the same.
Production and speed actually increase and less fatigue. Make more money and be less tired....

Work right it is not in the way or activated, just as the normal chain break. It is the only system I have seen that actually work when limbing the branches under tree when saw is on its side and were there is high risk of missing something when looking.
In the production and logging we have here it is a good thing. For those that do thinning it is a great help to learn and stay on track.

Chain break should be engaged when transporting saw or saw stopped!

Safety here is pretty tuff and the amount of injury's in professional work pretty low.

I think it can seem stupid, Especially to those that has not tried it. I run the older system a bit and tried this new. I learned a lot in just a couple hrs running with a good instructor. Small things corrected that not only helped increase productivity, but also safety and strain on saw.
Most of us are in this for money, I was too, so that was reason enough for me.

I have seen guy's that run saws with this professionally in the woods that is 60-65 even 70+ and with better production than a guy in 30's without it and doing the small misses that cost energy, time and increase risks.
To most new kids here it is about a lifetime of work in the woods. If they can learn to do it better and with less costs and injury's, why not?

I agree safety here is getting a bit foolish. Perhaps not the ideas, but the regulations around it are extremely stupid. It is not the pro's that need most help, they learn from each other when they see it works better and increase productivity = More money out of same effort/time/cost.

Ive tried it, Magnus.

Also, whoever does 2.-3. thinnings of conifers manually anymore.
No-one around here for sure.

When my finger (on bigger saws) comes off the throttle, I hit the chain break w/o even thinking about it.

Pre commercial thinning in New England is all done with a weed whacker type thinning saw.
I have been in New England forests and talked to owners and loggers. Seen a bit of it when I was there.
Your forestry is quite different from ours. We need to get a lot more out of forest here than you.
3-4 thinnings, then final harvest. First is often with clearing saw only. Second with clearing saw and chainsaw.
All cut is collected and chipped in most parts of South Sweden today.
A good logger can do a better job than a machine and damage grounds less. There is a lot of aspects that in the end decide how much is earned of what you have. Here is is more focus on yearly production in forest and amount of volume produced/Area.

I hope it is built to withstand travel in a tree truck the way the main chain brake is tough. Stihl has the chain brake throttle interlock. I would prefer that. I suppose your hand has to be fully pulled from the grip by a kickback for that Stihl design to work.

Not sure what you mean by traveling in truck. I can't see why this would be different in any way during transports.

Stihl system has nothing to do with kick back. It helps nothing as long as your hand is on saw.

Green horns have to start some where. As I have found training these green horns, this extra "parking brake" is a good thing to keep things in control and enabling them to learn and get used to running a chainsaw.......the world's most dangerous hand held power tool BTW.

Having said all that I have met so called pro loggers who still make crazy mistakes with poor saw handling control .......who never were taught properly in the first place with only school of hard knocks.

Back