How windy is too windy to climb?

Tim_B.

TreeHouser
Hey, guys and ladies! Just curious to know what most people think about the issue of projected wind speed on a particular day and the decision to climb or not to climb. I know on some construction jobs they'll shut things down at some point over concerns about safety. I'm wondering if most folks here on the forum have a wind speed limit in their minds ahead of time.

Please forgive me if this question has come up already. I just do not remember ever reading about it on this forum.

Thanks in advance to any and all who choose to render their opinions.

Tim

The tree can often be a factor, Lombardy pops are very hairy even in a medium wind whereas I'd have no concerns in a squat oak.
Otherwise like the man said, gut instinct

I know when it is sometimes too windy to ride a crane ball. When the operator can't stop chuckling when finally getting back to the ground. SOB....

Every job is different, but when the wind will affect things, you gotta play it by ear/your gut feeling. If it seems too unsafe to proceed, then it probably is. I've shut down maybe three jobs in 30 years because of the wind, all crane orientated. :drink:

The tree and the job are factors. Usually I don't sweat winds below 25mph(though they can be a pain in the tushie depending on the drop zone) Over 30 mph and I am usually thinking about what jobs I can do from the ground. I once climbed in over 50mph winds to secure a broken top dangling over a trailer house(top wind speds that day were reportedly over 70mph but those gusts were later than my climb). 'Twas noble but foolish and afterward I thought that I shouldn't have done it.

You really need to listen to your inner voice.. Know your trees and soils. In my neck of the woods, anything over 25MPH can throw a whole tree or at least shake things loose to the point of broken in oaks. Best to stay out of canopy and such.. But that's my woods. Know your demographic and trees. Listen to your inner feelings.
Winds hit 15 MPH gusts today and we heard one crack some more at a codom and root flare. Two different trees in a field. We left the field.

A steady wind is a lot easier to deal with than gusts. Climbing, I've been trying to imagine the winds that the tree has been exposed to, and how they relate to what is going on that day. Sometimes the wind can help, but if it's going to make things significantly more difficult I will find something else to do. . . That being said, there aren't many days without healthy winds on Lake Superior. Trust your gut.

Depends on the tree and what we are doing.
Had to take a rain check on dead wooding a huge ash tree on a church yard a few years ago.
Not because it was dangerous, but the wind kept sending the dead stuff, we tossed down, flying onto some ancient graves.
It did scare the crap out of my co-climber, but that was because he was a pretty green apprentice.
we were planning our first trip to the Sequoias for the next year and I just told him that a climber planning to go into the big ones should be able to handle a bit of wind in an ash tree.
He quit wining after that and just got on with it.

Wow seriously, 25mph will blow over a tree in your area?! Why is that, I'm curious.

About 18-22 knots is tops for me, I'll climb in the upper end of the scale if the tree is sheltered and I really have to!
But yes, the type of tree is key, some really get a sway going, others don't.

You really need to listen to your inner voice.. Know your trees and soils. In my neck of the woods, anything over 25MPH can throw a whole tree or at least shake things loose to the point of broken in oaks. Best to stay out of canopy and such.. But that's my woods. Know your demographic and trees. Listen to your inner feelings.
Winds hit 15 MPH gusts today and we heard one crack some more at a codom and root flare. Two different trees in a field. We left the field.

Done crane removal in 35 gust......not much fun . Was about to get in dead pine in 30+.........we all watched it break in half.went home

Most the tree determines it for me. If there is a defect.....no go.

Of course if its below 20 degrees, wind plays a big part of avoiding the suffer age factor.

I really like rock climbing in the wind ......adds a new dimension to adventure.

Big game changer has been the switch to SRWP. If I have a good line over many branches, it's a real secure feeling. Most of my jobs are smallish and I'll take up rigging if it's windy, add a tag line in very windy conditions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm really glad I started this thread. Thanks for all of the great responses. It's cool to get the perspectives of people who have been climbing for so many years, and to hear the stories about the most extreme conditions. I thank you all.

Also, the almost universal advice to "trust your gut" is much appreciated.

Tim

Thinking back to a silver maple removal I did yrs ago on real windy day a mile or so of Lk ontario. Really worked well the wind was consistently pushing the tree and felt predictable. Circling and bursting winds wood be nuts. Species and condition of tree and type of wind needs careful analysis

Gut instinct is best. I get to be the one making the call though. I only have to answer to one person in the company and he knows not to question my judgement. If I call it for wind I usually go and help catch up in ornamental pruning or low risk removals. That's the one benifit to being booked six months out with 3 crews, there is always something else to do

The tree and the job are factors. Usually I don't sweat winds below 25mph(though they can be a pain in the tushie depending on the drop zone) Over 30 mph and I am usually thinking about what jobs I can do from the ground.

^this

Wow seriously, 25mph will blow over a tree in your area?! Why is that, I'm curious.

About 18-22 knots is tops for me, I'll climb in the upper end of the scale if the tree is sheltered and I really have to!
But yes, the type of tree is key, some really get a sway going, others don't.

Poor soils... Poor Tree structures... drought conditions. Flooding... Many factors.
Mother nature sorts out the defects real quick.
Just a hot summer can cause grief. Heavy limbs transpiring. Over crowded trees lead to all kinds of interesting growth (sarcasm).
Girdled roots from growing in rocks.. seen a 40 inch or so ponderosa on top of a mobile home from that.
Inspection helps, but it is not like we have x-ray vision. Sometimes the radar works better.

Thanks for that explanation...this is definitely one of the advantages of hanging out here, different work environments, different trees, different experiences, one climber's 20knots is a go, another's is not.

You have to factor in the ground persons safety too with possibility of debris blowing around. In a logging operation as a hand faller we were required to shut it down with high winds.
Working removing stands of trees you learn quickly how each tree supports each other, especially conifers that's just how they grow. Take a tree out and the opening will allow wind to put stress on a neighboring tree that always relied on the one you just cut for protection.

Exactly Willard. Changing the wind dynamics is huge in crowded wood.
And if you also factor in snow with blowing winds... wellllllll ... Then there is often unseen damage that can bite ya as you are working.

I'm pretty solidly on the same page as most of the posters...tree, location, and job dependent. Picking cones on an exposed ridge top, going to 3 or even 2 inch stem diameters...20mph is way too much, even 5-10mph can be too much if the gusts are unpredictably hitting twice that, and swirling. It's one thing to be able to set yourself up with your back to a steady breeze and use the wind to your favor in a situation like that, but otherwise is flat-out dangerous.

On the other hand, doing heart rot inoculations on 200 foot tall mature trees at 75 feet up the bole in a protected swale with good deep soils...bring it on, I'll stick with it until big limbs start breaking out, that's gonna be hitting 35+.

I love a good tree surfing, when things are right for it :D.

Last edited:
Burnam, you would have liked it the other day.. good soils.. Sturdy trees 125 plus tall. Spaced canopy so there was wind sharing. 75 degrees. One of those days when you are trying to get you line set into the next tree for a traverse and the rope about comes out of your hand. Just a steady 15-20 wind.
Beauty of a view and no noise save for the hand saw and occasionally firing the 200t for a good sized cut. (had to use the choke each time I started it since it was few and far between :lol: )
Going back again tomorrow. :D

Back