Home made gear

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
I was just wondering if their are any safety concerns with making a lowering pulley? I am thinking of using 6mm mild steel plate for the sides, 45mm round bar for the bottom pulley wheel and 30mm for the top. I was thinking of using 19mm mild steel axil. I was going to design it in CAD and then stress test it to 10 ton and have my SWL at 2 ton. Is this a viable option compared to buying one?
Cheers WC

welcome to the house wood collector.
There is a thread here about home made gear and if I
remeber right someone made some prety neat blocks.
I'll try to find it and report back.My name is george by the way.

ah sugar I can't find it
I'm beat I know its here somewhere ( good thread if u can find it, there is a lot of smart people on here willing to share
maybe someone will chime in ,:?sorry brother

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am an assistant consultant arborist and only work in the school holidays so, I am only going to have a few pruning jobs for friends and family each year and as pulleys cost $200 and up in AUS. I thought that it might be cheaper to make my own as I do metals and engineering at school.

I can't imagine fabricating a pulley when there are so many already out there to be had.

Why?

Sometimes people just wanna make their own stuff. We've seen rope bags, climbing equipment, splices :) , and all sorts of other things get hand made and sometimes end up being better than anything else out there. I say we sit back and watch...and I'll keep my check book handy in case his pulley is better than the ISCs!!!

I thought that it might be cheaper to make my own as I do metals and engineering at school.

Same reason I made this up. Why pay some one else for some thing I can do.

Sounds like you have the knowledge base to under stand the risks.
Remember when you make something and then use it you assume all responsibility for failures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just an update, I have finnished making a prototype in inventor professional and it looks good and is blue when a safety factor is used. I may adjust the sheave size a bit if I can get a bit bigger steel round bar. First stress test to 10t went okay a bit more red than my liking in the first test but when tested at 2t it was good with only a bit of red. Will attach the cad file later so that some of you can have a look at it. Thinking of using some bolts off of a Tow hook with a 4.5T WLL. The max that I would probably lower without a portawrap is 300kg. Thinking of putting a brass sleve over the screw thread for the sheave to run on.

I have a hankerin' to make a webbing strap basal SRT anchor for some reason, no idea why, was thinkin' some sort of good quality 2' ratcheting.... for now I'm using a 25ft length of climb rope with a steel arborist ring spliced onto the rope.

I'm not gonna be telling you that you're wasting your time, wood collector...I understand well the attraction to making your own stuff, been there a few times myself.

But you already have more than $200 in this project. Just sayin' :D.

Back