Grove AT635E

Wow! This can play out to be a never ending story. May the best be with you on your decisions, Paul. I'm anxious to hear all the up-coming episodes to this new episode in your career.

Small steps first.

I kinda agree with ed. I was talked out of doing bypass filters on my bucket truck.

Every lb of pressure could be nessessary. Good oil and oem filters. All oem parts. Period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will have to find out if bypass filters are recommended for the zf trans, if it is indeed a zf. The guy that inspected it said there was a clark 4800 series in it??

What's that crane good for at say 75' radius?

Practice swing jib ....it's nice to have extra tip height when needed. We can get jib on in about 15 min

At 50' its good for 6000, 70' 3300

I am taking it to my wood dump field today and am going to build up a huge fire with it.....

Does the jib require a locking pin that is set manually after it swings into place? Some of the older Japanese cranes have that feature, later ones it's automatic. If forgotten, the ramifications can be disastrous, have seen it for myself with an operator that had the flu and was running a fever that day. Gawd! :O

Don't change your price one bit. If you do, you've lost a god portion of your advantage in buying the crane. Do the same tree for the same money, just way faster.:D

A crane removal is way lower impact than conventional rigging. Charge more. You're providing a better service, unless they don't care about collateral impact.

It's a doubled edge sword. Personally, I might charge a hair more, but not much. Your goal is to bang out jobs faster then anyone else can, meaning you can charge the same, have a higher profit margin, and be able to bang out 2 big jobs in a day instead of 1 without killing your body and back. IMO, and something I've learned while working here at TCI, is volume is the key to tree work. You can't charge the most and be the biggest in town. You have to charge what everyone else charges around you, but be able to do it faster and more efficiently than those other guys can, so you can get more done in a day, and do that every day, 5 days a week, and just bang out a shit ton of tree work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took posesion today. Got off to a bad start as the lowboy said he couldn't drive down the road to my site which I think is BS but whatever. He dropped it a couple of miles up the road so I had to drive it back with no tags. Pulled onto the road which is always busy and it wouldn't shift out of 1st... So im trying to figure it out whilst trying to drive this huge vehicle:lol: Turns out the seller hydraulically locked out the suspension for the trip and when in that mode it wont shift out of low.. Any ways after a phone call got it resolved and back to the site. We played around with it for a while and picked up some logs. Its a complex machine for sure and is 20 years old, has some hydraulic leaks that I need to fix.

Time will tell

Pics tomorrow

Personally, I might charge a hair more, but not much. Your goal is to bang out jobs faster then anyone else can, meaning you can charge the same, have a higher profit margin, and be able to bang out 2 big jobs in a day instead of 1 without killing your body and back. IMO, and something I've learned while working here at TCI, is volume is the key to tree work. You can't charge the most and be the biggest in town. You have to charge what everyone else charges around you, but be able to do it faster and more efficiently than those other guys can, so you can get more done in a day, and do that every day, 5 days a week, and just bang out a shit ton of tree work.

RD, Exactly

Paul, I think you're going to love it.

A crane removal is way lower impact than conventional rigging. Charge more. You're providing a better service, unless they don't care about collateral impact.

How? I hate to be contrary my friend but I don't do any collateral damage when I rig trees down and clean them up.

Charging more? Good luck with that. You will need to increase your sales to keep up with the fact that you'll be potentially able to double your production. Charging more doesn't increase your volume. I just don't think this is as simple as saying "Im going to charge more because I have my own crane". It sounds good on the forums, but wont fly in someones front yard at an estimate. Yes, you need to be turning a high enough profit to afford the ownership of the crane. The high enough profit part should go hand in hand with doubling production without having doubled your company size.

I just think the raising rates idea is a pipe dream. Some folks will be happy to pay more, but I sincerely doubt that raising rates because you made your own life easier and more profitable holds much water in the bidding game.

Tucker, I call BS. You still have to get the shit outa there. Even if you cut it up small and hand carry it there is damage and sawdust. Crane = less cuts so less dust and NO ground impact (other than the crushed driveway):lol:

FWIW I hope to maintain my current rates and not drop them as work is easier which I have traditionally done when I get new gear

I use a loader. Call BS. Sawdust isn't collateral damage. And if it is, I have a leaf blower that fixes that. Do you honestly do collateral damage day to day? Ive never even heard of that. I do tree work every day and cant really get my head around your idea that Im out doing collateral damage.

Cribbing bends blades of grass and leaves impressions in the lawn. Which is slightly more damage then the sawdust I sometimes make.

Charging more? Good luck with that. You will need to increase your sales to keep up with the fact that you'll be potentially able to double your production. Charging more doesn't increase your volume. I just don't think this is as simple as saying "Im going to charge more because I have my own crane". It sounds good on the forums, but wont fly in someones front yard at an estimate. Yes, you need to be turning a high enough profit to afford the ownership of the crane. The high enough profit part should go hand in hand with doubling production without having doubled your company size.

I just think the raising rates idea is a pipe dream. Some folks will be happy to pay more, but I sincerely doubt that raising rates because you made your own life easier and more profitable holds much water in the bidding game.

An $800 tree is an $800 tree. Now instead of 4 hrs and two guys, maybe he can get two hours two guys and crane. Tis how i think of things.

Im ALL about a crane, don't get me wrong. Its awesome to see a fellow Houser make the jump in the business. Something to be proud of and reap the benefits of. I don't want my perspective mistaken.

Brendon, I don't follow. Explain to me differently. My brain is slowly dying from fumes.....

It's a doubled edge sword. Personally, I might charge a hair more, but not much. Your goal is to bang out jobs faster then anyone else can, meaning you can charge the same, have a higher profit margin, and be able to bang out 2 big jobs in a day instead of 1 without killing your body and back. IMO, and something I've learned while working here at TCI, is volume is the key to tree work. You can't charge the most and be the biggest in town. You have to charge what everyone else charges around you, but be able to do it faster and more efficiently than those other guys can, so you can get more done in a day, and do that every day, 5 days a week, and just bang out a shit ton of tree work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree completely, efficiency is the name of the game.

Felling a tree in sections in a garden and cutting everything up, then carrying it all out (by hand or machine) will ALWAYS have more impact than a few pics with a crane. No matter how good your clean up.

And there are plenty of customers who will pay extra for that. Not everybody wants the cheapest service.

Back