Grove AT635E

Just wanna keep you around!

Add to the fact that you're already a man down, and you are taking the best guy(assumption) and setting him in a cab making you two down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My baby will be here by noon tomorrow

I am actually enjoying doing bids. Got one this evening, hickory right by the street. $850 , will take 1 hour tops and I get some nice firewood. My buddy in MD told me when he bought his crane he felt like he hit the lottery as money was SO easy to make:)

I know wait till my first big repair bill, Im going to enjoy it now

You may be the first crane operator in history that started his experience by working trees. With all due respect, it seems unwise to me.

B. 4500 hrs on a cummins 8ct. Only thing I don't like is the 8 speed auto, Im sure its great for driving but Im worried about maintaining it.

I know Im in over my head but I feel good about it. I really feel like Im doing something positive for myself longterm. Hopefully the short term doesn't bite me

I bet everything turns out just fine. I'm not a crane operator, but with all my experience with cranes I'd bet I'd get it down real quick.

Good luck and congrats. Get some time in on the controls moving stuff around before putting someone at risk. I got to move forms for a day with a crane and the operator standing there guiding me through it. It's not to tricky but no one was ever close to the dangerous end of it and we were well below capacity.

Well certainly wishing you luck and good results, Paul. Picks without an excessive reach and weight concerns, i don't see much as a problem, as long as you know which controls do what. :\: I think what experienced crane operators have that lesser ones don't, aside from knowing how much lift to apply, is the reflexes to respond quickly if something starts to occur that needs to be adjusted to, like twisting and undesirable weight balance. Even sometimes experienced ops, all they can do is watch. :|: Straight up static picks, have to wonder sometimes if the operator might be snoozing.

My buddy in MD told me when he bought his crane he felt like he hit the lottery as money was SO easy to make

Dan Mayer, who owns a tree service and 3 or 4 huge Groves, says tree guys are always asking him "how can you afford all these cranes?? He says "for all massive amount of work they do and money they make, I can't afford not to have them"

the 8 speed auto, Im sure its great for driving but Im worried about maintaining it.

A German-made, heavy duty, auto tranny, if it hasn't been abused or neglected, that thing is probably bombproof and very low maintenance

Who owned it before, what was it used for?

What will freak ya out is on a day with clear blue sky's, in the cab all calm and comfortable, you look up at the head of the boom just as a cloud passes by. Your brain thinks the cloud is sitting still and the boom is swinging. Laughed at myself many a time as I came down on the brake.

A friend of mine bought a 30T mounted on a Peterbilt. He changed his game after that. He would roll with the crane, a bucket on an AWD International, an AWD International chip truck with a big Bandit on back, and a log truck towing a 100 HP ASV with a grapple on it. Might even have a stumper with him. He'd pull in and detree you in an hour or two and was off to the next TD. Crank out tons of work and make the competition feel a bit cranky.:lol:

B. 4500 hrs on a cummins 8ct. Only thing I don't like is the 8 speed auto, Im sure its great for driving but Im worried about maintaining it.

I know Im in over my head but I feel good about it. I really feel like Im doing something positive for myself longterm. Hopefully the short term doesn't bite me

Terry told me to tell you to remember to change screen and filter on tranmission every 500. He said tyranny is working while crane is running.....not just driving

Thanks John, First thing I will do is put some Schaeffer trans fluid in her and a bypass filter on engine, trans and hydraulic. Clean fluids are important.

Cory it was owned by a utility Co.

Dave my comp are already pissed at me for my low prices on big trees, wait till they see us rollin now......

Don't change your price one bit. If you do, you've lost a god portion of your advantage in buying the crane. Do the same tree for the same money, just way faster.:D

Thanks John, First thing I will do is put some Schaeffer trans fluid in her and a bypass filter on engine, trans and hydraulic. Clean fluids are important.

Cory it was owned by a utility Co.

Dave my comp are already pissed at me for my low prices on big trees, wait till they see us rollin now......

Umm.... stay with standard filters Paul. Esp on the ZF, the operation of the transmission is dependant on hydraulic pressures, and the standard setup is very very good to start with. Also stay with the OEM recomended oil.

Back