Grove AT635E

His personal pride is probably through the roof. He'll be able to do about anything he chooses in life - and if he were willing to be an employee, he is the one we would all want.

I grew up on a farm I ran equipment of varried sizes from about 7 til I left for the service at 18. It was not something I did from a want but a need. That was how we earned a living. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing I learned a great work ethic, a set of skills, and a since of accomplishment for the tasks I completed

Makes me a little nervous watching that video of the kid wheeling that thing around, but I grew up in Los Angeles. :/:

Trevin loves to come work on the job. He only gets to come on jobs I'll be there and never chips brush. He and Orrin both used to run the mini skids but neither can sit in the seat enough to ruger the safety and still reach the pedals on the gehl or I might let him feed the chipper that way. Everything in moderation imo

Well I still think it's cool. I doubt Paul is recklessly endangering his son and his equipment and whole operation. Some kids are more mature than others and have a natural aptitude for running things. I drove many things at a young age. My dad trained me to drive from before I could reach the pedals, I sat between his lap and steered. Same with bikes, I rode on the tank long before I could be trusted or was big enough to cling on the back and my dad taught me how to ride/control a bike.

I think you're doing your son a great service by teaching him useful skills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Had an interesting challenge today. We had to take down a maple in the back yard and the tough part was clean up a 24" 100' tall white pine that had blown over and across a creek. Stump was about 100' from crane and creek was about 130, too far to reach conventionally.

OK so as we all know you are not supposed to drag with a crane just lift, so I came up with a plan. We left some of the maple up that I could reach easily and we set a redirect on that. The Skookum was basket hitched around maple. We then put a come along system on the ball and drug it to the pine and chained it. So the crane was able to apply load in an appropriate manner and with about 5000lbs force we got the pine to come up the hill. Landscaping every where. By utilizing a control line on the pieces we were able to float pieces one the landscaping until they came under center. Then just a simple case of cable up, ball would lift the redirect off of the maple and I could swing and put it in the chipper. Did whole tree in 3 pics !!! Hopefully Robbie got a video of the but log floating out..

I love my crane.

IMG_0912.jpg IMG_0913.jpg IMG_0915.jpg

You took the skookum off the maple just using the ball, no climber etc?

Yup as the ball raised up it lifted the skookum off the spar, even harder to believe but true is I put it back up there with the ball too!!!!

Ingenious Paul, I'm thoroughly impressed. I shouldn't be because it's normal for you, but I am

run of the mill crane work, removed this declining sycamore .

IMG_0918.jpg

Then neighbor asked if we could remove his, so we swung the jib and did it

IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0922.jpg

On the way home we picked 6 small maples next to an office building.....

Nothing about all that steel and HV lines looks "run of the mill" to me. Y'all got to have your act very together to negotiate all those hazards. Good stuff.

Back