it's already getting cold. corkboots, winter wear discussion.

r0ck1r0ck2

TreeHouser
i'm not sitting out this winter like i did last winter.
screwthat.

so,

FB472.jpg

how's that for a start?
i was planning on putting the buggers over my regular boots when working in the deepfreeze.

apart from that, last winter (se wisconsin) i would do a thin layer of polyester, carhart unlined and then a lined pair of bibs.
as well as several sweaters and a waterproof windbreaker.
i'm pretty sure i can do better.

so,

what does the tree house do to keep from freezing?

what about neoprene gloves/socks?

Unless those are insulated, they're not going to keep you much warmer than your regular boots. Although, rubber boots should keep your feet dry.

You should look into Pac Boots. they are somewhat bulky, but should not be as bulky as two pairs of boots on one foot. Hoffman's boots, White's boots, or Schnees. In no specific order. Depends on what you intend to do with them. The right socks keep your feet from sweating and then freezing. I prefer smartwools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wool socks and regular boots to keep warm.
caulked rubbers on top to keep dry and spiked.
too bulky?
maybe.
i really can't see myself greasing my boots daily to keep out the wet so i thought rubber would handle that.

I used to use golashes and overshoes and that worked fine for in the snow and come off fairly easily for climbing.
Can be patched as well.
Muck boots are pretty good all arounder with wool sock and poly or wool dress sock.
Arbor tech scaffel worked the best for me last couple of winters they won't make it for a third winter but
the muck boots are a close second.
Layers on layers is what i do. the thing to keep in mind is loose layers are suppose to work better

Are we talking 20 degrees or negative 20 degrees? I am going to bet in the negative temperatures those will not be warm enough the way you intend to use them. A wool liner will make all the difference. To me, those look like a cool weather rain boot... Just my opinion.

I don't grease my pac boots daily in the winter, and they do fine in the wet snow. I typically don't stand in moving water for long periods of time with them. The leather will need grease eventually.

thank you all for the replies.

-20 to 20 is what i'm trying to deal with.
i'ld say 20+ is going to be fine working weather. below that tho'.....

so i was looking at the hoffman pac boots with their felt liner.

think they'll do the trick at -20ºF with a pair of wool socks under them?

what do you do with caulkboots when it's time to drive the truck?

If you're working and wearing the right socks, they should be good to -20. Might not be very warm if you're not being active. They already have a steel shank, so if you're not heating the boot, they won't be as warm. Don't get steel toe like I did, more steel = more cold.

Good question about driving in corks, I don't have the answer for that one.

Baffin Technology makes a good industrial cold weather boot. A lot of guys up here swear by them, but if you're not moving around, your feet will get cold no matter what you're wearing.

I like the lightweight synthetics, windproof and dry. If it's really cold it's hard to beat that Carrhart Arctic stuff, the black cordura ones. I'm looking into a new set of insulated coveralls myself. I'm sick of the overall straps coming unhooked under my coat. . .

Driving with caulks sucks. You destroy the pedals, carpet/liner, floormats. Once the rubber is off the pedals become real slippery too.

Sorrell pack boots to the knee for deep snow, and a short pair for the start and end of the snow season, Hoffman pack boots with corks for hills and ice, Neos over boots for quick jobs in the wet and spring mud, and many thin layers and a few thick layers like bibs.

thank you for your replies,
it's helping

ok, so how would a pair off hoffman pack boots with the clawlug sole fare for forestry and climbing work?

had a short day today and trekked up to beaverdam to the fleetfarm..
man i love fleet farm.

they've got a military surplus section..
grabbed some wool socks, wool baselayer, wool sweater, and a wool hat.

no messing about this winter.

any ideas for my outer layer?
tsi/forestry and then standard climbing/ground work.

i think the multiple layers of carhartt really slowed me down last winter and i was pretty sore trying to move at all.

I use the claw lugs, they do pretty well. Very supportive standing on spurs, good all around boot. I would want corks if I were falling primarily or constantly working on a hillside.

Silk long johns are gold. They don't offer loads of heat, but they pull the moisture off your skin, which in a work environment is important.

guess i was thinking thin wool baselayer, then a heavier mid layer then a wool sweater up top and some lined army surplus on the bottom.

i was thinking about topping it with raingear/waterproof when it's insane freezing. sort of wrap the whole hotdog in a garbage bag.

there's a british firefighter suit made of goretex for cheap at FF and i think that'll do the trick for the final layer but it's kindof bulky..
good for being on the ground, less so for up in the tree.

i'm looking for suggestions on a final overlayer.

i'm also trying to figure out which hoffman pac boots to get and i'm leaning 10" with the thinsulate liners and the clawlug sole.
regular wool socks on the cold days, really heavy wool socks on the -20 days.

those neos overboots look pretty good as do the Sorrells but i am really trying to only get one more pair for the sake of my $$$$$

for gloves i was thinking neoprene with a liner for climbing in the cold and some leather with wool liners for forestry/ground work

i've been using neck tubes and a helmet liner under the helmet and that seems to work well.

Lordy, I wish it got cold here. A jean jacket is about all you need here!

Attachments

• handsomedevil.JPG
    handsomedevil.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 71
Silk long johns are gold. They don't offer loads of heat, but they pull the moisture off your skin, which in a work environment is important.

Silk is my base layer of choice as well. It's thin, works well, and weight nothing but with wool socks and fleece the static shock can drop an elephant, great for motivating the crew tho.

Back