Tracking sites

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I downloaded a computer application that shows what sites track something in the way of my personal information when I access them. Some sites will track you even if you haven't visited them, somehow connected to the ones that you have. They do this in order to store information about your connection to their server, including authentication information, details about your online session, and any preferences you may have saved. It can possibly compromise your privacy. Good or bad, necessary or not, I'm not sure how it works, but we are being watched by degrees. It is also possible to block some sites. It's good to delete your cookies and cache from time to time for various reasons, being aware that sites won't remember you if you do. I usually delete every few weeks or months.

Visiting Masterblasterhome.com shows these sites tracking as a result:

paypalobjects.com
youtube
photobucket
ytimg.com
tinypic.com
google analytics
google.com

Hey, that's nothing, I was served court papers from my girlfriend's ex-husband who is a cop, over 200 pages in the motion and then over 400 pages of Facebook postings in his "evidence"..... didn't go anywhere but was a PITA and only cost me some time as I represented myself in court.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess when you have a link to a site like paypal, they will be needing to get information on participants for some logistical reason. Not sure how it works. I've become interested in computer security recently, since I am using my computer as a wifi hot spot through my internet connection, to enable someone in proximity to use the signal for an internet connection for their iphone, speeds things up for them and saves some costs. It's a cool thing, but there are potential security issues involved with anyone else within the signal range. My older operating system doesn't have very good security to prevent unwanted access to the signal. I should upgrade, newer os has better password security.

I got surprised today. I found an Electra Glide that I wanted to show a friend. It was on a site that I have never done any business with before, I wanted to send a like to my friend. All you had to do was put your address and your friend's address and send it. The site knew my email adress, had it on auto fill. I thought that was weird.

My wife listens to a podcast, "The Grumpy Old Geeks". She says there is a continual feed of top notch security info from one member of the team. (Be forewarned, they can be harsh and use foul language, she says. Ha...guess she's worried about all you sensitive types.)

Back