sushi

Some fresh water species like trout is served raw here, by itself and not on rice (sashimi), but not nearly to the extent that saltwater fish is eaten that way. I think people felt left out in the old days where the ocean was far away and no transport, and trout being about everywhere. It is sliced very thin like paper, and is mild tasting, not very flavorful. Mild tasting might be why flounder isn't considered good. Once you get a too mild taste, people seem to not prefer it. Maybe it is too dry?. Abalone sushi is also popular, some people go nuts for it. It is simply sliced up without any softening. I go to a sushi place with a friend on an island that we sometimes visit. He keeps ordering it over and over until it gets embarrassing. It's hard and crunchy, a waste not to eat it thin sliced, pounded and breaded fried, imo.

I would never consider a bottom feeder for sushi and I think the salt water fish are better protected against parasites vs lake fish but I am no ichthyologist. Around here when the lake is turning over in its thermal spring and fall the lakes get turbid and the fish taste 'muddy'. The locals know better than to eat them at that time.

There is some concern about parasites existing in fresh water fish, like tapeworms. Salmon is sometimes mentioned as a possible carrier. Full salt water species, no worry apparently.

I would never consider a bottom feeder for sushi and I think the salt water fish are better protected against parasites vs lake fish but I am no ichthyologist. Around here when the lake is turning over in its thermal spring and fall the lakes get turbid and the fish taste 'muddy'. The locals know better than to eat them at that time.

Dammit Paul... you are gonna tax the hillbilly's heads with words like that... You ok over there Jed?
I got a headache pronouncing it.

Uhhh... Ickyologist? Well yeah... I'd think that just about anyone who has the guts to eat sushi would become an ickyologist, just by default.

A day at the fish market:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bIpmYjwh_pg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My kid ate raw fish sushi last week for the first time, he has had cucumber rolls, California rolls and dynamite rolls before but not the fish. Tried salmon and tuna roll, loved it. FWIW I have also taken raw steak and carved a bit off for consumption, its not that big of a deal #steaktartar

Ohhh, my dear Butch... sushi of course... How could anyone who could even make a pretense to the redneck stripe disapprove of crayfish. However, humble northerner that I am: I'll confess that I've never actually eaten crayfish.

Sad, sad, sad...we PNWers have great crawdad fishing lakes and streams available left, right and center, my friend. It's easy, bro. Get on the stick!
:)

Sometimes when you get tired of watching your bobber sit motionless you reel in your line. Sometimes when you pull it in there is a crawdad hanging off your now bait free hook, giving you the middle claw right before he jumps off! Nasty little suckers. I would love to eat a whole bucket of them someday. Preferably in Louisiana!

Sad, sad, sad...we PNWers have great crawdad fishing lakes and streams available left, right and center, my friend. It's easy, bro. Get on the stick!
:)

Alright: I'll ask Edwin. He's like a bear (and weighs almost as much). Crabber extrordinaire. He knows where everything a bear would eat is.

I love sushi but I'm not sure we should be eating it. We've done serious damage to fish populations and most sushi isn't really what it says it is anymore because we fished those species to the brink of extinction.

Back