sushi

RegC

TreeHouser
I just can't get into it. Always seemed like a lot of pretentious fussing and fiddling about. Tried it again tonight....that's the last time. Give me a salmon burger any day:drink:

Ha!! I understand. I had it once on a flight to Burma, via Tokyo...awful stuff. Don't care to try it again.

Love sushi!

Mikuni's is the place to go here, awesome stuff, was there friday night ;)

There are thousands of different types of sushi... sushi is about as specific as "cake" or "pie."

I had sushi for lunch, Spicy Tuna and Fried Spicy Snow Crab... tasty. The Spicy Tuna with soy sauce, the Snow Crab had eel sauce.

sushi is one of my favourite foods.
i think i would do well to try living on it for a few months

salmon skin hand roll.
scallop nigiri.
hotate.
saki.

one of my ex girlfriends was a waitress at a sushi place.
i think i tried everything on the menu.

I'll check it off the list to take you if you make it over here, Reg. I know some excellent places, but there is a lot of other good food, like MB's katsudon! I don't know what you have tried, but like anything else when it comes to food, there are different ranks of quality and taste, and priced accordingly. Sushi restaurants vary from cheap eating on the run where you don't even sit down, to where a rich atmosphere and lovely attendants in kimonos will be helping out with your needs, and leaving such places your wallet will be a lot lighter. Of course the fish has to be very fresh and the preparer skilled, and the rice good quality. The best stuff, anyone that doesn't like it, questioning their taste buds comes to mind.

Sushi wasn't originally intended to be a meal, by the way, possibly stopping in at a place to have it on the way back home from the public bath, and more something to accompany drink as a sort of complimenting snack. Food to accompany drink is a fine art in Japan. Ten years to get the hang of being a good sushi chef, it is said.

One of our favorite "special occasion" foods. There are some pretty high level sushi joints in the big west coast cities. Good sushi is far from inexpensive, btw.

I'm not so sure I'd choose to eat sushi in Alexandria, LA...just as an example, no direct slam Butch, and I could be totally wrong on that in specific :).

Hey, I agree! We ain't all that high falooting down here in de bayou, but we can boil up some tasty mudbugs!

crawfish21.jpg

Suck the head, eat the tail!

If you happen to live in a coastal village or town where boats put out to sea to fish, there can be found some excellent sushi at cheap cost. Sometimes i think it's worth moving to a place like that for it. Places even only a few hours away where the fish has to be in cold transit, the taste will begin to deteriorate. Lots of sushi restaurants the fish may be coming in frozen. Still, it can be great if quick frozen.

The best raw fish I've ever had was some Big Eye tuna caught near the Johnston Atoll in mid Pacific, around where the US used to test nukes. Some fisherman from down south came to my shop one day, he had an interest in woodwork. I gave him some wood. He said he would send some good fish. I forget about it, but one day it arrived in a frozen shipment. It looked good so I figured that my wife and I should give some to friends. After I tasted it, we ended up keeping it all. Sorry to say that fish made me very greedy, it was so out of this world. The guy was on a tuna boat three months per voyage, come home for a month and then they would shove off again, three times per year. It must have been hard on his family, a wife and young daughter, but he sure knew his fish.

Right you are, Butch...so very right.

I'm with you, Jay...really fresh yellowfin caught well off the coast here in deep water is amazing too. I don't serve it raw, but a short high temp pan sear on both sides, barely warm in the middle of a 2 inch thick ahi steak that I've dry rubbed with some nice herbs and spices, is to die for.

That's cool that you have "special occasions", Burnham, and food that you and M like to go along with it. We have them now and again too, like when I get paid for some woodwork. Our destination is an Indian restaurant these days that is the real deal. A glass of rum and bring it on! We can walk there so I am allowed to have drink, and it also helps after eating too much.

I enjoy a good rum on occasion myself, Jay. Hot weather and with a nice tropical juice as a mixer makes an especially fine combination :D.

One bad thing about sushi.
It has all but wiped out the Tuna.

I've never had it and never wil.
There is no force on earth that could make me eat raw fish. Yuk!

John loves good sushi, best he ever had was in a Greek joint over on the west coast of Fl in Tarpon Springs. It was octopus.

Our local supermarket has a sushi dept and all the sushi crafted there is by the guy that has the sushi restaurant in town. I love watching John make his selection, there is so much to choose from. You can even see the fellow making it!

Like Carl said, there are many different types of sushi concoctions! The coolest sushi place we went, the craftsman prepared it right in front of us. Such an art.

I have never tried it as I don't like most seafood.

Sushi is my favorite food, I like finding a good Chinese Buffet with good sushi; guess im a quantity of quality guy. I pretty much like any seafood (FL boy)! And Mudbugs, 2nd favorite food, they are invasive here in N Colorado, and the USFS kills thousands a day, in the summer, out of the reservoirs....I believe they were brought in to combat some algae or something, but the wrong crayfish were brought in and they bred way too fast. Now they are hurting trout and other fish populations. So, we eat the mess outa em'!! bugz.jpg

Raw fish, what are we animals? I have it raw about once a year...nothing special about it. I would never eat steak tartare!

Back