Morbark Chipper Won't Start

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Here we go :)

So our chipper decided enough was enough. Any thoughts on why it might not stay running?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/98Jhajvajhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got a call in with Morbark HQ. Took it to the dealer and they said working on engines wasn't their specialty and it would be at least a week until they could look at it anyway. Ugh.

:(

I would agree to trouble shoot the Murphy switch and fuse that is linked to it. Had the same issue. Unfortunately more then once.

Murphy switch. I'd bet money on it.

On another note, it sounds like you have a very shitty dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw that thing in the ocean! After you burn the dealers place down, of course.
Wish I could help more, but it is a Bark More. I'd start with the Murphy switch too.

Another vote for the Murphy Switch. Then possibly fuel delivery system since it wont stay running, maybe a new fuel filter or pump.

I'm not sure but the dealers are why we don't buy them anymore. Dealer would tell us it's cat's problem. Cat would look at it and say that the engine was fine it was morbark's wiring. Then after the back and forth bs we'd get an "I don't know". When it ran it was a great machine. When it didn't it meant weeks of headache.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've come to realize that we just don't have stellar dealers. I brought it to a DIFFERENT dealer that's even closer than the one I brought it from. I was hoping for "yeah that sucks. Take this beat up loaner to get you through the week until we can look at yours"

Now we have our guys stacking branches in the truck until we get this crap figured out. I got a call into morbark HQ for advice. Waiting for the call back. The service technician answered right away and was helpful.

I think my next machine will be a leased Vermeer. Bought this one for like $27,000 brand new and worked like hell to pay it off in a year.

love
nick

Does it have a low oil preasure/high water temp shutdown system? I'd look at the fuel shutoff solenoid and relays too.

...my Morbark did a start no run thing...was the fuel pump.Actually the tiny plastic check valves. Mechanic was stubborn and wanted to fix existing pump while I begged him to swap it for new one....he sourced the valves (Germany I think) ....still runs on OE repaired pump.

Nick, I think your hopes of getting a loaner until yours is fixed is very reasonable if you're under warranty. You bought a NEW 27k chipper not a 5-10k project. Hopefully you're back in business soon. I absolutely feel you should be comped a chipper by the manufacturer while you're waiting for repair.

Faulty fuel pump is my guess?
Had a old ford pick up that did that
Turn the key and the fuel pump turned on just enof to start but the pump would quit atfer that
Wish I could help u nick
I learn a lot form ur post
Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ew I hope not!

For what it's worth, I noticed if I put it to full throttle, then start it (which I'm sure isn't good for it) itll easily get up to 3,000 rpm...as long as I hold the key.

Might that confirm or deny any of the possible solutions y'all are offering?

love
nick

I think it's the same story high RPMs or not, either the Murphy won't let your engine run or you're not getting fuel would be my first two guesses. A Murphy switch and a fuel filter will be pocket change to a fuel pump or specialized morbark safety plug I would assume.

Your chipper trying to start sounds similar to my pickup when the fuel pump died earlier this year.

That sounds like a good place to start. If your manual does not give step by step for replacing the filter look on the web. You have to bleed the fuel system.

Another possibility is a crack or loose fitting on the line coming from the tank.

....you should see the manual that comes with a Morbark....pretty thin ! ....maintanance , parts diagrams , electric schematics , a few safety cautions ...that is all for an expensive machine

Back