Morbark Chipper Won't Start

Merle, when you turn the engine the oil pump turns as well. Not ideal, but there will be some lubrication.

Is that what you were asking?

A weak transfer pump will starve the HI pressure pump, and cut the lubrication. MOST of the fuel moved by a transfer pump is used for lube and cooling. With the lack of lubricity now a days in ULSD it could be a problem. Older diesels might benefit from running a lubricity additive.

Off road diesel has more sulfer, certainly should try to find that for all the off road equipment

For sure. The difference is 15 ppm compared to 500 ppm sulfer.

However, some areas do not carry the 500 ppm fuel, instead they dye the ulsd red. A person has to make sure the off road fuel is 500 ppm. Some areas sell so little off road diesel they cant justify carrying two types.

Even at 500 ppm, some people still run lubricity additive.

That's interesting, some places here will sell clear at off road pricing but that's just a matter of convenience

I have been running Supertech outboard two stroke oil as a lubricity additive. A little over an ounce per gallon. Cheap insurance. Biodiesel at the same ratio is better..Need to get some for summer use. It is supposed to attract moisture in the winter.

Learn as I go , was damn sure fuel was not contaminated or had air in the lines....just went through it all. At least the mechanic didn't waste time in the fuel system.

like someone else said smoke usually means a fuel problem, check the pick up in the tank for holes or cracks, the fuel solenoid could be going open as it gets hot. does fuel level or heat effect it?

Merle, when you turn the engine the oil pump turns as well. Not ideal, but there will be some lubrication.

Is that what you were asking?

Oops! Missed this till now Jim. Yeah, when I first posted I was focused on something I have heard about diesels getting their lubrication from the fuel and momentarily didn't think of the oil pump and system.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update on the chipper. Sitting at a kubota dealer. The local Morbark dealer called me today to see if it was up and running yet. He asked me to share his cell phone number with the kubota dealer in case they have questions about how the chipper is supposed to work.

Kubota said they are looking at the fuel injectors. That makes sense I guess.

I'll report back.

love
nick

So wait, how old is this chipper? How many problems have you had? And you're paying for it? Did you press Morbark to pay for the rental?

When my bandit was under warranty still and the oil cooler seal went I demanded they 'demo' me another chipper. I went through my salesman when that happened and pressed him hard to make another chipper available to me. He did and just asked that if anyone else asked about it just to say I was considering buying it. No problemo.

With the price of new chippers I'd be hard pressed to rent one while mine was still under warranty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not under warranty any more. We got it at the beginning of 2013, so it's been almost 2 years now (had a 1 year warranty) I think the Kubota engine has a longer warranty...but that mighta been 2 years...and I can't find any documentation on it. Regardless...and you're gonna love this part...but the machine only has 300 hours on it!!!

The Kubota dealer that has it looked at it today. They said there was too much oil in it, which can contribute to the white smoke...but that the bigger problem is that one of the cylinders isn't working properly. They are going to replace it for a few hundred bucks.

They also said she's going to push Kubota to have it covered. This machine, in many ways, is brand spanking new. They might do it. I'm not keeping my hopes up. I give up. I just can't even any more.

Back