Pigeon problem

bstewert

TreeHouser
In the last year I've noticed a huge increase in bird poop on a certain patio in front of a doorway. A single oak tree branch is about 40' directly above. Altho I haven't seen any birds sitting on that specific branch, I know my neighbor feeds pigeons, and they often fly into the tree. If that branch is cut it will "unbalance" the tree, so I'm looking for an idea to discourage the birds from landing there.

Thoughts?

Identify the bird first. With it being one branch only it could be an owl. If it does turn out to be pigeons, modern pellet guns are almost totally silent and extremely accurate. Pigeons taste great. But don't shoot an owl.

Identify the bird first. With it being one branch only it could be an owl. If it does turn out to be pigeons, modern pellet guns are almost totally silent and extremely accurate. Pigeons taste great. But don't shoot an owl.

Yea this
Good target pratice
[

A nonlethal way would be to buy the spikes that you see in the city above doorways. I think I have seen them in Ben Meadows catalog. On the other hand a pellet rifle would be rather fun.

I have this vision of drum sticks the size of a normal chicken wing .It would take a dozen of those things to make a meal .

A cat could likely get the job done .Get a smart one not one of those morons that can't climb down from a tree .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish I could identify what it is. Right now, pigeons is just a guess cuz I see them in the tree, altho not on that specific branch. I shoot at the birds all the time with a pellet pistol. It chases them off, but I'm not good enough to actually hit one. We have no songbirds left, and an overpopulation of crows and jays. They will sit in the trees and squawk all day long at each other if I don't go out and disperse. The crows are smart enough that they will take off while I am pumping up the pistol inside the garage.

The spikes are ok but barbed wire is much cheaper; just cut into lengths and lash/staple it on

It sure works on buzzards Stephen. I hung one on a microwave tower that had several hundred roosting on it. The number went from hundreds to zero overnight.

An owl decoy will work.
One would think so but take my word before too long they will be roosting on the owls head .

I tried it with a pair of cardinals that were driving my wife nuts dive bombing their reflection in the windows .I gave it a go but in the end it was the double barrell 410 that did the trick .

I've had the same experience with the owl at another place. Worked for a short time, then they were all over it.

You can get a dummy owl that moves it's head but it costs a kings ransom .A good old fashion sling shot makes almost no noise and has enough power probabley to decapitate a bird ,crow, pigeon or whatever .Most likely even a Canada goose with a head shot .

Just be thankfull it isn't a goose that roosts .They are about like a flying cow .Three pounds of vegatation goes in and 5 pounds go out .

Dang, you can hit a bird from 75' with a slingshot??? I can't hit one with my pellet gun. One shot and everybody's gone. Then it takes 30 secs to reload and pump the thing.

I'm thinking a surveillance camera, but I know nothing about those, cost or otherwise. The pigeons are rarely in the tree when I'm out in the yard. I only see them if something spooks them from the neighbor's feeders, then they fly into my tree.

A good thing about a camera is that I could use it to see who is leaving cigarette butts out by my mailbox at the street. Also, dog walkers who let their dog poop at the mailbox and don't clean it up.

Dog poo, cigarette butts? I would say you need a slingshot!

Hang one as an example? Flying cow? You guys are hilarious!

My grandfather's carpenter was a man of many talents. He loved pheasant hunting with a sling shot. He never went hungry either.

A good quality Gamo pellet rifle would do the trick nicely. No pumping, just break open, load pellet and close action. Improving your cover and concealment skill would help too. Load rifle while concealed, advance slowly, fire from concealment. Retrieve your kills to eat or just so the neighbor does not get pissed and call the cops.

75 feet with a good slingshot didn't used to be a big deal when I was a youngster .Fact I could fling a "river biscuit" with a " David and Goliath " sling fairly accurate at one time .You hit anything with a 3 OZ rock from a sling it will drop .Well maybe not a buffalo or a grizzley bear .However it would raise a goose egg the size of a baseball .

You just need to practice but it sounds like you have enough targets .

Back