Left-handed triggering?

Harder to stay out of line with the chain when bucking/limbing.
So I only use it as needed when bucking/limbing.

Felling with a wrap handle, I don't give it a second thought.

All the time cutting stumps low. Otherwise only rarely and carefully......except when one handing a tophandle saw in the bucket cutting and pitching but don't tell anyone.:/:

My left hand is less strong than the right one, so I get less fine control on the trigger and the cut isn't so smooth. But I do it often in the tree to cut in a good position (understand, without loosing to much time to find "the" best position). It's like triggering with the thumb, right or left, with the saw upside down to cut a limb from the left on a wide trunk for example.

Yup.
To be a good logger, you need to be fairly ambidextrous with a saw IMO, just like you need to be able to cut a true face from both sides by instict.

I've cut my pants (no chaps) when I was limbing out trees left-handed with the falling saw on land-clearance jobs twice. Both times were long days, and I was pretty tired--thus the left handing. I've cut my left hand with the top-handle saws twice as well, (I'm right handed) but both were from pure complacency. I'm a skinny guy, so I've got to left hand the top-handle a lot to reduce fatigue--almost 50% on super limby conifers like Spruces, and I have never cut my right hand. (Both top-handle cuts merely took a little bark off--thank you GOD!!)

Way I figure it, you get a feller up in the woods on some slopes and he/she figures it out either hand really FN quick if he/she has a job to do and money hinging on it.

Side bind is something I have never come across, aside form limb wood on a flopper, in tree work. Now felling trees whole in the woods for firewood I have.

Before getting into tree care work, I was a logger and I usually used a full wrap- handled Stihl 044 most of the time, that allowed me to work both lefty and righty.

Good to be able a saw with both hands, when necessary.

Yeah, Chris... al I run are full wraps even on the arbo-side. Still managed to cut my pants twice. For me, it's not the bar, it's how the bottom of the case is positioned relative to your right thigh that gets ya when your cutting lefty. If anyone limbs out a downed conifer lefty, he'll see what I mean.

I'm a big fan of left handed cutting when it comes to dropping timber, but I also tend to cut with the top of the bar more than most. Was also taught that a body under stress gets tired and makes mistakes. Maybe it's true, 12 years logging with no real serious injuries, and I've taken a few hits

and i guess i should ask, what do you mean by 'side bind'? something under pressure, i would assume. but other than that i don't know. are you talking about obstacles in the way to where you can't make the cut except if you use your left hand to trigger?

Back