Lightweight rigging line?

bstewert

TreeHouser
I'm in the market for a lightweight rigging line, something that will run through my mini-porty smoothly, or even just a pulley. Will use it for rigging out those long, gangly dead branches that don't weigh very much (like 2-4" fir branches) over lots of pretty flowers below.

What do you use or like? Thanks in advance.

I bought some 3/8ths Stable Braid recent. Nice light rope for some quick light lowering or rigging something. Bought it through WesSpur on NiceGuyDave's (wileyp) recommendation. Nice through the mini porty. Use a Biner on the end instead of tying a knot. Trust me on this. Less weight and skinny makes it interesting to flip around a limb and tie.

I think he means he has difficulty getting the end to come back around without adding a 'biner. 3/8ths Stable Braid sounds dandy. I have used a 3/8s Static Kernmantle for light rigging for a long time. I also have used 3/8ths Promaster (Polyester over polyolefin 3 strand) Promaster is super lightweight and works just fine for stuff that weighs little-- but being a twisted rope it rotates a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking that running thru the mini porty smoothly is even more important than being lightweight. I used some 9mm KM111 yesterday, and it was hockle city.

I use 3/8 Stable Braid, 3/8 StaSet, and a old hank of Blaze for the light rigging. The Blaze and Staset hold up well to natty crotch rigging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'd go the other way, using a stretchy rope, since there is less in the system.

That was just an old climbline I had lying around that was long enough to work in a 100' tree. I had the mini up with me. The Km111 worked, but I'd like to see if there was something better.

My favorite was petzl sport rope9.8 and 10.8 really smooth jacket for running thru your hands and nice and stretchy to catch loads. I think it was 32strand mb more. It was rope with a shelf life and the retailer sold to me at huge discount.
Since that is all used up I retire my climb line yearly and use that.

I think he means he has difficulty getting the end to come back around without adding a 'biner. 3/8ths Stable Braid sounds dandy. I have used a 3/8s Static Kernmantle for light rigging for a long time. I also have used 3/8ths Promaster (Polyester over polyolefin 3 strand) Promaster is super lightweight and works just fine for stuff that weighs little-- but being a twisted rope it rotates a bit.

Bingo. :)

I renamed my old 1/2" from Old Snarly to Old Smokey when I glazed the hell out of it on a silver maple removal, kind of like a last hoorah for the old gal before retirement. Had to burn in a few big pieces away from the house and a 500gal propane tank.

Hnk
My favorite was petzl sport rope9.8 and 10.8 really smooth jacket for running thru your hands and nice and stretchy to catch loads. I think it was 32strand mb more. It was rope with a shelf life and the retailer sold to me at huge discount.
Since that is all used up I retire my climb line yearly and use that.
Agreed. Old climbing line. Easy peasy

Back