The Alpine Magnum stump grinder

I use my grinder once every two weeks and it definitely pays for itself, even with light usage.

I had a friend who operated in the Irish capital, Dublin, running a stump service. This was back in the days of the celtic tiger economy, before the crash. He owned a range of machines, from an Alpine magnum right up to a 110hp Carlton track machine with several in between.

Out of them all, he reckoned the Alpine earned him the best return on investment, and probably his highest hourly rate. For precisely the reason Nick alludes. If nobody else can reach the stump or is willing to do it, you can basically charge whatever you like to do the stump.

VanLeuven44b.jpg

that machine is basically a little version of the traditional way of pulling out stumps with draft horses and mechanical advantage. In Michigan they used to build fences with the pulled out stumps.

I wonder if you could rig some poles up like that now and pull out stumps with a dingo or something

I've considered building an attachment for the boxer that sits on the ground and uses a hydraulic ram. Modeled after a post puller, I don't see why you couldn't use a hydraulic jack instead of a mini skid

Huh, look at that, they have such a critter already

962eb729d6a6e43cd7c2183e139aeaf3.jpg

The stabilizers would be a bit closer for roots on three sides, whereas the tripod would be better (he said, theorizing on the couch).

Chainsaw digger and pulaski is my fastest method.
I have done trees over 2' dia. Still don't own stump grinder
Someday. Big lever and ma and some hard labor once and awhile

ive used one of those Deva, and i can say with certainty that the alpine is way better. for one, it is about half the weight and a bit narrower. for two, on that thing you have to muscle the whole machine by pivoting it on one wheel locked in place, on the alpine you remove the wheels and it stands on a single "foot", so much easier to swing side to side. both are torture, but the alpine is better engineered torture.

The alpine magnums are pretty unpopular amongst employees- their solution is to sabotage the machines prior to the work. I was on a job once which involved using my machine plus an alpine magnum for the inaccessible stumps, the alpine magnum was owned by a bigger outfit who had sent it out with a groundy- he and I were to take turns. The belt on the AM broke about 20 mins into the job and both of us were quite relieved tbo

"Pedestrian grinders" seem to be more popular in Europe than across the pond, they are very good for getting down back alleys etc. my mate had one with the 25 hp Kohler command engine, same as my old rayco, it was good and occasionally he'd come in where I could not get mine.
I think Husky make one at 13 Hp.
I've used them a bit and they're bloody hard work on a big stump. Good training for rugby forwards (or tight end fillers or whatever they call american footballers)
Im more of a lever man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The alpine magnum is pretty niche yet I'm surprised there aren't more of them floating around a big town like LA

There may be another one soon enough. I just sent on local stump grinder a list of about $2,000 worth of stumps that could all be done with the Alpine.

Thanks for the input, Jaimie.

Good to know, I could sell the heck outta stumps but just shy away from real hard work.

If the machine broke after 20minutes you woulda been picking with picks, shovels and carbide.

maybe cause I just did a crap one and it put me off stumps.

I have a Partner combination concrete saw and stumpgrinder. The stumper attachment looks like the wheel on a Praxis (carbide teeth mounted in a staggered pattern on a one piece wheel about 10inches in diameter) It works for little stumps in raised flowerbeds and such but it is brutal to imagine doing a big stump with it. The Alpine Mag looks like the best for horrible access situations.....and none of the tiny options are good for easy access large stumps.

Thanks for the input, Jaimie.

Good to know, I could sell the heck outta stumps but just shy away from real hard work.

If the machine broke after 20minutes you woulda been picking with picks, shovels and carbide.

maybe cause I just did a crap one and it put me off stumps.

No. It's because stumps suck.

I don't mind grinding as long as the teeth are sharp and there is some power to the machine. I love my 652 after a 252 trade in but miss the compactness of the 252. It sounds like the AM is not a go to grinder but a last resort or only resort for that matter. If you can make money with it just charge for the misery.

Back