How far will you travel?

I will travel as far as their wallet will carry me.

How much depends on what we're doing and how much we are doing.

When I do cat rescues I charge $1 per mile, round trip. Most of the tree work I do is within a 10 mile radius of home so travel is no biggie.

50 mile radius, do and will go farther for existing clients. For me billing for travel falls in with the math for # of dump trips, set up ect. Lots of variables seems its never just charge x amount.

If it were possible, I'd travel further to get to jobs than to go home from them. I hate traveling when fried, and unlike a number of years ago, stopping for a beer makes you an outlaw.

About 20 miles with chip truck and chipper. Put on ground only, or onsite disposal (driving a loaded pick up), I would go farther.

Just with the pick up and saws/ropes 2 hrs, I'll throw 40€ on the price for the diesel.
If it's with the tipper and chipper an hour.
All depends on how much work I have in front of me.

I haven't gone more than 1 1/2 hrs with my own company yet but with others I've gone out of state. Got hotels and stayed a couple days. If they payin I'm going

I'm riding 45 miles this morning to look at some tree work for a large contracting company in my town. I'm riding with one of the owners, the windshield time could prove to be valuable networking.

It depends were the money is. I drove to KY to do work for my aunt. I was prepared to go work Sandy for a bit. So show me the money and saw and I are on the way.
In all seriousness on a day to day about 20 miles one way with a road trip every now and again of 70 miles one way.

in 3 directions around my yard, I'll travel 20 minutes. North of my yard I'll travel all the way to the state line (1 hr). Very rural in that area but the demographics are decent, and Im trying to establish a name in that county. Very hard for customers to get bids up there. In the other 3 directions here, Im likely bidding against 2 other people if it isn't a referral. North of here, if I show up to look at the work, its mine, provided Im not a pig about the price.

I actually don't like discussing that here on the net. I know competitors have popped in here. Oh well. Ive done worse things.

I drive up to 2 hours any direction except west. I don't go west. The farthest was 8 hours over Sierras. Our name preceeded us there for a fat campground job.

I charge one way travel time to arrive, when I leave their gate I'm off the clock and find it hard to charge them.

I live on an island, so that pretty much takes care of determining how far I'll go.

Used to travel hour, hour and fifteen. Now give away work over 20 miles, or slightly under if its a crappy spot. I know enough people in each way i can give my friends the leads. I hate driving.

I'm traveling from Oregon to Alabama next week to do a climbing training gig. Travel expenses covered in the bid of course, and I include in that all the incidentals I can anticipate. So it's like Carl said, as far as their wallet can pay for ;).

Of course, I don't do this every week, or even every month...that would be a different situation, and I'd not choose to travel a lot, for sure.

Id like to travel farther but in mountain country, the wear and tear adds up fast towing/hauling heavy loads. Brakes and transmissions.

Most of my work is within 20 minutes or so, but when working for Nick it's an hour to his place on the expressway, then to the job (might be another 20-30 minutes).

If I'm driving to his jobs my fuel cost comes off the top of the job pay.

I keep track of mileage, not sure why. I find we rarely go more than 12 miles/day round trip

I generally operate within a 25-30 mile radius. Occasionally travel 40-50. Have driven to Florida to take down several trees for a previous customer's daughter and son-in-law. We made a mini-vacation out of it, spending the weekend with some of my wife's family.

It's really a mixed bag for me. Job I'm on is less than 2mi, and under 12 for the one after that.

Stump job I have the camper at is 1 1/2 hrs away. Hoping to get things squared away down here and be up there sometime next week. I'll be interested to see how teeth & machinery (and my mentality) hold up on straight hours of grinding. I may have to break down and run my ipod through the comm helmet...usually just stay tuned into the 2 engines.

Work vacays are cool, I did a few of those back in the day up in Maine. Work half a day doing TDs, make a huge mess that the HO would clean up, party the 2nd half day Good times!!

Back