Saw snaps or caritool?

treebilly

Student of the Jedi. OH-7106A
I've been looking to buy a new climbing saddle. I have recently borrowed the edge saddle from a co-worker and really like the feel and the price is right. I noticed that the empire saddle at tree stuff is identical minus the chain saw snaps. Would using caritools workout fine or should I get the one with snaps? Are they strong enough to support the ms660

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like how the caritool doesn't twist Is there a way to get a biner to stay in position. Sorry if I'm asking beginner questions. I've been climbing for 20years on old weaver wide back 4-D saddles until recently. I've been told by the young guys that it's time to get out of the 1980's.

I'm the opposite. I hate how it sticks out!

You know, in the past I toyed with the thoughts of drilling 2 holes in the spine of the biner and inserting some steel rod in there, then bending over the ends of the rod to make it textile friendly.

I gave up on the idea because I tried the Caritool as a test and decided I liked the ability of the biner to be out of the way when I'm not Using it

I guess the snaps do tend to twist also. I'll slap a biner in the caritool slot on his saddle tomorrow and give it a shot.

I like a small, taped-"open" biner. You can remove the tape if you need it to close more securely. Like a hook. I use breakaway lanyards. I don't care for caritools so much.

Thanks I'll try that too. From the replies I'm gonna have to assume saw snaps are "old school".

I use a large and small caritool for a saw. The small will support a 660, I wouldn't make a habit out of it though. A small saw works fine. I don't like how the caritool catches everything. A rope or branch will slide in behind the gate often and it's a little bit of a pita.

Tried both methods with the biners today. Worked out ok. Ordered the empire saddle, blue moon rope, and a couple caritools from tree stuff early this afternoon. Can't wait to open another box from them. I do keep my saws on a lanyard hooked to a ring and would be using the caritool or biner just to keep it up on my hip rather than dangling below my feet

Caritool is great because it's always in the right place.
Caritool is a pita because it's always sticking out!
I now use tool snaps.

I got aggravated with 'biners and snaps and made a clip out of a piece of flat stainless steel that works great for me. The ring in my saw lanyard slips over it and it holds securely but pops out easily with a little upward tug. All done one handed and very simply. It doesn't snag climbing through thick foliage either. I'll try to get a pic.

I like it. On my old weaver saddles I would grind the clip off just leaving the J shaped part. Worked great unless I got a good ride or descending through thick branches. Gonna try the caritools and biners for awhile. If they annoy me I'll fab up something similar to yours Limbrat

I just use a bent gate biner from a quick draw. Cheap, easy to find, easy on and off with one hand.

For years I've just used a 'biner and an aluminum snap hooked to the accessory ring on my saddle. Easy to remove with one hand,Very secure, and not tangled in/below my feet.

first started doing it this way after the gate broke on the saddle snap.

Back