tensionless anchor

Heg

TreeHouser
Hi Treehousers

Is there any danger of using this, versus a wrap 3 pull 2? I looked it up in the Tree Climber's Companion, and it don't mention either one.
It's only 15 ft high, just to get to my zip line. Thanks!!:occasion5:

Attachments

• 2014-09-12 13.35.00 tensionless anchor_treehouse.jpg
    2014-09-12 13.35.00 tensionless anchor_treehouse.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 122
I really don't see an issue with that. Sure the safety nazis will harp about side loading the biner but I really cannot imagine you breaking it with your body weight.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was swinging around a couple feet off the ground, and I don't think side loading will happen. The fact that it's only 15 ft up, and thus I can always see it, makes me comfortable. Every 5 ft multiplies the torque? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYiv0F3cSY

Steel biner here, dress the wraps nice and close together, but that's how I would roll it. That's how it was taught in the Canadian army to rappel or lower supplies/casualties over a cliff.

I recently read that someone did pull tests on opposite and opposed biners and they found that either the biners or the rope broke easier than the same setup with a single biner. I wish I could remember where I read that.

No worries with your original pic, imo. But if you get to thinking too hard re the biner sideload issue, just go with a running bowline there instead.

What's the purpose of the biner over the knot anyways? Seems like futzing around.

That video is also a wonderful display of futzing around.

6-8 wraps...............why that many?
And putting an overhand knot on a figure 8 on a bight surely qualifies as "futzing around":lol:

6-8 wraps...............why that many?

That was exactly what I was thinking, and I don't know squat. Logically it seems like any more than 3 wraps is really not adding any safety factor, IMIO.

Hi Treehousers

Is there any danger of using this, versus a wrap 3 pull 2? I looked it up in the Tree Climber's Companion, and it don't mention either one.
It's only 15 ft high, just to get to my zip line. Thanks!!:occasion5:
I'd go with a regular running bowline for life support. The tension less anchor avoids pulling on the knot and bending the rope. There is tension on the knot and a bend, losing full strength of a straight section of rope. For hard pulls on big trees, at state parks, a couple Screw drivers stuck into the bark helped hold the half inch Amsteel in place while double wrapping big boles, then a double hole/ jacked bowline with no tension. Feed any slack back around and to the truck. Would sorta look like a letter P with the bole in the hole of the P, with two turns.

Obviously smaller stems don't need screwdrivers, and Amsteel would melt with sloppy dressing.

You have gained nothing with your set up, no offense.

My first intro to the TA was for an adventure program, grabbing the technique from rescue techniques, 6 wraps and clip. Over kill, but hard to screw up for newbies, or rescuers in a high pressure situation.

You have gained nothing with your set up, no offense.

None taken, I just appreciate the feedback, although we need a smiley for "way over my head". Bottom line, I don't know if I was really trying to 'gain' anything. I just want to be confident that it's not going to fail on me.

@RopeArmour - interesting indeed. As one commenter put it, "There are MANY things that will kill you, this aint one of em ... But it makes for great intraweb arguments"

The only time I worry with tension less anchors is when dealing with high modulus ropes as they lose a lot of strength in knots.

Using a porty with them for an attachment point is an example of a low stress termination for small diameter ropes.

Back