Lawnmowers

flushcut

TreeHouser
Yes I went there.
Anybody have opinions on some good brands? I prefer a commercial mower over a homeowner mower and something like a 50" deck.

I am a weekend warroir
I have around 30 lawn accounts
I have a rzt 52in cut cub cadet
This is my second season on it and no problems so far (knock on wood)
It has 362 hours on it,
Its the one with the 23hp kohler

What's the plan for the mower? Biz/home?

When I was in that bus, I had a Scag walkbehind, and most people had those or TurfTigers. A lot of Exmark professional mowers too around here. If I had the money, I'd buy a Kubota diesel zeroturn.

Walker, Wright, Scag, Exmark, the commercial Torro's, Hustle, there are still some good ones out there. But if you want a good one, be ready to drop some coin! My wife and I were talking about this the other day in fact. She thought we should be able to get a mower for around $2k, I laughed! If I'm going to buy one it's going to be serviceable, hydro pumps and motors you can rebuild, and not cost $1400 to replace, a Kawi gas engine etc. I can get a Hustler, 48" deck, 25hp Kawi, right at $5k OTD.

5-7k is what I am expecting to pay, quality cost $$

You are on the right track then! The one I want, http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/stander/ is around $7.5k, but my wife doesn't think our son will be able to drive it when he gets bigger!

Most everything you but at Home Depot. Lowes etc., are what I consider a 5 year mower. Cub Cadet, Troybilt, Bolens and so on, are all owned by MTD and Murray now. They bought them out, change the sheet metal a little and use their existing parts to make something shiny!
The box store JD's are made by JD, at least they were, but the quality isn't there, compare them to anything else and you are just paying more for the green paint.
I'm not sure if Husqvarna makes their own or not, the riders are decent, but my FIL had a ZTR, I think around 800hrs? and one hydro unit started going out. I got the numbers and called/researched all I could. They were sealed units and the best price I could find was $1400 each. He bought a commercial JD ZTR and sold the Husky for $900.

I like my sit down Toro, 23 hp kawasaki engine, zero turn, 50" cut, Time cutter SS 5000 (with two speeds). The stand and rides look nice and compact, and you can soak up bumps with your legs, I like that feature.

Guy I am buying my plow from has a scag FS. 2K 48" Scag walk-behind mower w/ advantage deck, Pro One Sulky and Aluminum Catcher

00n0n_8YYu2h5Jifu_600x450.jpg

I have a Titan series Toro zero turn which is the top of the line residential model .Welded reinforced deck,23 HP Kawasaki engine 54" cut .It only has less the 26 hours on it ,I doubt I get 40 all season .It was just shy of 6 thou .

It will run the same cut speed as a Dixiechopper .Blade tip speed of 1800 feet per minute.That thing will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

I mow about 2.5 acres .Lots of trees takes me about an hour and half,45 maybe depending .

We have a John Deere tractor and it has been a good machine.

Mom and Dad have a Silver Eagle Dixie Chopper. It is a hell of a machine. It does seem a little rough, I think it could use bigger front tires. Other than that it is a good machine.

That one is going to push him a little over his budget! I have a 52" Scag with Kawasaki and 36" Toro Pro with a Kawasaki, I've had them both about 4 years. No problems what so ever, I'd recommend either brand.

I once had a John Deere 48" walk behind with a Kawi engine. Like new, low hours. Bought it off a junkie for $300. Wasn't even stolen.

Something to consider if you buy a higher speed zero turn mower and use it in a commercial setting . Spend a little extra and buy the air ride seat .In my situation it was only offered in the pro series Toro ZTR models which would have been about 2 thou over what I paid .

I mean those things will scoot about 9 MPH but you can't run them that fast because it will beat the pizz out of you .Over the winter I'm going to check into it .I have the premium seat so maybe it can be adapted to air ride .

Yeah, that's my thing with the Bad boy and Dixie Chopper mowers Al! Sure, they can run at 25mph, but who in their right mind wants to try and ride on that sucker across the average lawn at that speed?

I thought the same of the standers as my mini, just like said above, your legs take the beating, not your back, plus you can see EVERYTHING around you!

Well you damned sure can't run the thing and drink beer at the same time .Kinda beats the beer to froth ,yuck .

Back